VortcMax vs. SSS

nxtnlne

:repost: My 4x4 needs a diet...she's to heavy! I was messing around with a new 06 SSS yesturday and I stepped out a full truck on him 1st-2nd then he started to reel me in 2nd-3rd, and got me by 1 truck length from 3rd-4th and he was still pulling. We both had passengers. He said his truck was completely stock. Damn power to weight ratio!!!! Oh well, I tried. :D . At least I know where I stand with you guys! I need to start buying some bolt-ons! :yellow_loser:

It is really suprising to see the difference between two vehicles that are supposed to be the exactly same. I used to work at a new car dealer and we would take two completely stock automatic vehicles and run them against one another and you would be suprised in the differences.

damn that sucks....i still think i could take an sss but have yet to run into one and yet to run into anything that will race besides a s-10 extreme. better luck next time. also atleast it was another chevy

with your mods you could take one that is awd....2wd i dunno really close but i'd like my chance against one also

This actually surprises me. An AWD SS weighs essentially the same as a 4WD V-Max. The AWD SS has 4.10 gears the same as a 4WD V-Max. They have the same motor and transmission ratios. The only advantage the SS has is that they are lower to the ground. This might translate into less drag at high speeds. I would think that a 4WD V-Max and an AWD SS would be side by side to 90 MPH or so.

As for the 2WD SS, they have 3.73 gearing. This handicaps them enough to make up for the additional weight of the AWD SS or the 4WD V-Max. The times I have seen for 0-60 and 1/4 mile are virtually identical between the AWD and 2WD SS trucks.

Maybe, since you don't have a tune, the factory tunes are different. There might be less TM in the SS's PCM. That is the only thing I can think of.

The one to really watch out for is the 2WD Performance Edition with 4.10 gears. Someone on this site has one. That truck combines the light weight of 2WD with the lower gears. A potent package.

Mike

This actually surprises me. An AWD SS weighs essentially the same as a 4WD V-Max. The AWD SS has 4.10 gears the same as a 4WD V-Max. They have the same motor and transmission ratios. The only advantage the SS has is that they are lower to the ground. This might translate into less drag at high speeds. I would think that a 4WD V-Max and an AWD SS would be side by side to 90 MPH or so.

As for the 2WD SS, they have 3.73 gearing. This handicaps them enough to make up for the additional weight of the AWD SS or the 4WD V-Max. The times I have seen for 0-60 and 1/4 mile are virtually identical between the AWD and 2WD SS trucks.

Maybe, since you don't have a tune, the factory tunes are different. There might be less TM in the SS's PCM. That is the only thing I can think of.

The one to really watch out for is the 2WD Performance Edition with 4.10 gears. Someone on this site has one. That truck combines the light weight of 2WD with the lower gears. A potent package.

Mike

Doesnt the vmax have a stronger 4L70 tranny which would amount to more drag? Im not an SSS owner but I thought the SSS had the 4l65 tranny.

Doesnt the vmax have a stronger 4L70 tranny which would amount to more drag? Im not an SSS owner but I thought the SSS had the 4l65 tranny.

As far as I know, the trannies are virtually identical except that some of the parts are treated for hardness in the V-Max's 4L70-E. I would think that "drag" would be exactly the same. Here is what GM says is different:

Gearset and output shaft strengthened for new heavy duty 4L70-E (M70):

To meet the high-output requirements for the new Chevrolet Trailblazer SS 6.0-liter LS2 V-8, the output shaft and the steel reaction gear have been strengthened using a combination of stronger steel and processing of the steel through additional heat-treating and tempering.

I have also heard that some of the internal parts were lightened in the 4L70-E so that it could take more RPM's before each shift.

This has me thinking though, that the torque converters are different between the V-Max and the SS. The TC in the V-Max is a heavy duty design intended for towing use. This might have an affect of some kind.

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

Im fully loaded (4X,sunroof, leather..etc) and he was no leather no roof 2wd. I had my ass handed to me. :smash: Sucks for me but at least it was a chevy? Im glad it happened because It was the kick in the right direction!

I want my truck to be able to pass smog so I that limits me. I want to tune and upgrade tranny with a shift improver kit but I've yet to here If I can do so with the M70 tranny? Is there a kit yet anybody? Part #? Also Headers and Exhaust. And that should put me even with the SSS 2wd :banghead: . Soon very soon, I will have my vacation check! :devil:

Im fully loaded (4X,sunroof, leather..etc) and he was no leather no roof 2wd. I want my truck to be able to pass smog so I that limits me. I want to tune and upgrade tranny with a shift improver kit but I've yet to here If I can do so with the M70 tranny? Is there a kit yet anybody? Part #? Also Headers and Exhaust. And that should put me even with the SSS 2wd :banghead: .

you have either 5 or 6 years before you have to smog your vehicle. heck i would just put whatever headers you want in it at that point. save your old exhaust if your worried about it down the road. i wouldnt have gone with longtubes if it wasnt for this case. and i purposely traded in my last truck before i had to have it smogged as i knew it wouldnt pass.

WTF 4 or 5 years?????? Are you on crack? :wtf: I wish it was like that, It's every 2 years here! Even so your right I could just remove the bolt-ons. But I thought the truck would pass with headers as there are street legal ones available! Warranty is also a big thing right know for me. I dont know? I need to do something!! I need to researc the price of a Tune. Hey Mike you still doing the tuninng? I dont mind the mail in thing but shit if I can get it done in one day I would rather do that. After I get some bolt ons of course. Im just :rant:

WTF 4 or 5 years?????? Are you on crack? :wtf: I wish it was like that, It's every other year here! Even so your right I could just remove the bolt-ons. But I thought the truck would pass with headers as there are street legal ones available! Warranty is also a big thing right know for me. I dont know? I need to do something!! I need to researc the price of a Tune. Hey Mike you still doing the tuninng? I dont mind the mail in thing but shit if I can get it done in one day I would rather do that. After I get some bolt ons of course. Im just :rant:

not when the vehicle is new. you have five or six years from the time the vehicle is new until your first smog. take a better look at the law.

here ya go.

Beginning January 1, 2005, vehicles 6 or less model-years old are exempt from the biennial Smog Check inspection requirement. For vehicles with registration renewals due in the 2006 calendar year, this exemption includes model-years 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.