Removing Tailgate Cap

I know it has been posted on here before but I can't seem to find it. Even using search.

I need to remove my taiulgate cap tonight, my Gaylords tonneau is suppose to be in tomorrow. My question is: I've head several people talk about using dental floss. I just can't picture in my mind how to do it that way. Do you use a piece long enough to go up & ove the tailgate? I'm confused........lol

vdrumright - It has 3m tape on both sides. If you use a heat gun and warm it up slowly you can start to pull it up inch by inch. Some say the have used dental flos. I took mine of like I stated above. Take it slow, it will come off. I needed to do that because I put a straight cap on and then an ARE cover. I also put it the old cap on ebay and sold it for $80.

vdrumright - It has 3m tape on both sides. If you use a heat gun and warm it up slowly you can start to pull it up inch by inch. Some say the have used dental flos. I took mine of like I stated above. Take it slow, it will come off. I needed to do that because I put a straight cap on and then an ARE cover. I also put it the old cap on ebay and sold it for $80.

i got it off in about 10 minutes with the heat gun.

• 6 years later...

All right guys, I know that I am reviving an old topic here but I would like a little advice. I am thinking about getting a gaylords cover but am confused about the stock tailgate cap. I know some guys have removed the tailgate cap, and I have found some posts here where the cap could remain on the tailgate. However, I have not seen any pictures where the cap stayed on with the bed cover. This is the thread where some guys said it could stay on http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5439&st=0&p=70587&hl="gaylords%20tonneau"&fromsearch=1entry70587.

So does the cap have to come off? And if it doesn't, has anyone here left the cap on and have any pics? Thanks for the help guys.

Archived