Cause of high voltage

elboyhs

I am having a problem with my 2005 ss. the voltage in the truck intermitently goes to 15.8v dc. dealer changed the alternator and the regulator they say they dont know what else to do. has anyone had any similar problem. what might i try doing.

The clusters in these trucks have been known to fail. If the voltage is actually 15.8 then I would start by checking the main ground and battery connections. An intermittant connection can cause the alternator to go to max charge. In the old days people would disconnect the positive cable and see if the engine died to determine if the battery was charging. If it was charging correctly the alternator would max out and keep it running. You could be experiencing this thru a high resistance connection due to corrosion or loose bolts. Good luck.

Dave

This maybe dumb and off topic but by chance are you running a stereo system? If so the amp maybe causing it. In my truck the amp pulled so much wattage that I could seee the voltage spike all the way to the right. They fixed it by running an additional ground to the battery.