Installing E-Fan

RacerJJ

I bought a single Perma-Cool E fan for my SSS since I only race the truck now. I am wondering if anyone knows how to wire it up directly to a switch? No pcm or thermal switch, just a simple toggle switch inside the cab. I am a wiring idiot so anyone who is handy with wiring, your help is appreciated. TIA.

very easy i did this to mine also . so they run via the switch on the pcm and also a manual override switch.

you need to get a good ground( id recomend the positve post under your black fuse box under the hood) you need to remove the "u" brace and then there are two small tabs holding it in place. remove it and youll see a post that is wired directly to the battery. id day use a 10-12 guage wire from that post straight to the e fan. then to wire a switch get an equal sized negative cable and run it to the ground on the fan and wire that directly to the switch.( go though the fire wall near the driver side by the tac (under where the "u" bracket goes . you can also you one of the bolts that hold the little black box a.k.a the tac module under the " u bracket to use for a ground supply. wire the negative wire to the switch and also wire the wire that goes to the ground post to the switch. if you need any help i wired about 10 different things on my SS and had to make a fuse block. so this will be very easy trust me.

yes you can wire it directly to the battery but going to the fuse box would look cleaner, you wouldnt even know it was there. to add a fuse go to radio shack and pick up a fuse holder wiht the guage wire your going to use and some fuses. then wire it on the positive side of the fan. somewhere between the fan and the terminal. very easy.

PLEASE...do it right and use a relay.

See here:

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earl...ch/foglites.htm

Like that, BUT...

Stnadard Bosch relays have numbered pins

PIN 30 (to battery + )

PIN 87 (to fan, positive wire)

PIN 85 (to any wire thats + when the ignition is on)

PIN 86 (to the cab, run it to the switch...one side of the switch to PIN 86, the other to the ground...so that when you flip the switch, it completes the circuit.

TRUST me...do this right, and let the relay handle the load...NOT the switch.

I used four (4) relays on my fans...each fan has 2 speeds, and I used one relay for each speed - Better safe than sorry.

- Brian

Maybe I wasn't clear...I don't want the fan on at ignition. I just want a simple switch so I may turn it on at my leisure. The truck is driven on and off the trailer and down the dragstrip and that's it! Much like a race car set-up. Do I need all that tricky relay stuff for that? :confused::confused:

Maybe I wasn't clear...I don't want the fan on at ignition. I just want a simple switch so I may turn it on at my leisure. The truck is driven on and off the trailer and down the dragstrip and that's it! Much like a race car set-up. Do I need all that tricky relay stuff for that? :confused::confused:

yes you do not want all that current running into and out of the cab even for a short time.and yes wire a fuse in as well the e fans pull alot of amps.

YES...

This is what you need to do, then:

PIN 30 (to battery + )

PIN 87 (to the fan, positive wire)

PIN 85 (to battery + )

PIN 86 (to the cab, run it to the switch...one side of the switch to PIN 86, the other to the ground...so that when you flip the switch, it completes the circuit and turns on the fan...if the key is on or not)

Basically, pins 86 and 85 are the "switch"...one gets power, one gets grounded...and when the circuits completed, the big amperage can pass across 30 to 87 and power the fan.

SO...most of us would have it so that the fan could ONLY turn on if the key were in the ignition...that's why I listed pin 85 as going to a switched wire (above, in my previous reply).

If you want it to be able to be switched on any time...then just make sure pin 85 get power ALL the time...and run it directly to the battery.

You can use 16-gauge wire for 85 and 86, and you switch...they don't carry much current. BUT be sure to use 10 or 12 gauge for the fan power coming off the battery (pin 30) and to the fans (pin 87).

- Brian

YES...

This is what you need to do, then:

PIN 30 (to battery + )

PIN 87 (to the fan, positive wire)

PIN 85 (to battery + )

PIN 86 (to the cab, run it to the switch...one side of the switch to PIN 86, the other to the ground...so that when you flip the switch, it completes the circuit and turns on the fan...if the key is on or not)

Basically, pins 86 and 85 are the "switch"...one gets power, one gets grounded...and when the circuits completed, the big amperage can pass across 30 to 87 and power the fan.

SO...most of us would have it so that the fan could ONLY turn on if the key were in the ignition...that's why I listed pin 85 as going to a switched wire (above, in my previous reply).

If you want it to be able to be switched on any time...then just make sure pin 85 get power ALL the time...and run it directly to the battery.

You can use 16-gauge wire for 85 and 86, and you switch...they don't carry much current. BUT be sure to use 10 or 12 gauge for the fan power coming off the battery (pin 30) and to the fans (pin 87).

- Brian

Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have a diagram would you? I'm kind of a visual guy. I just noticed your sig...we're alot alike...my daily driver is a 90 Nissan 240 SX but it's a POS! Thanks again.

-John

whoops i kind of forgot to mention i have relays. but i have the pcm4less harness because i didnt feel like making one. but yes definatly use a relay. it takes a little more wiring but its not to bad.

Most good auto parts stores sell them for $3-5 each.

Sometimes Autozone/Discount/PepBoys only sell them in fog light wiring "kits" - I'd stay away form those, they are some off-brand.

Buy real Bosch...if it comes to it, find a European parts dealer..they ALL use Bosch in the OEM apps.

- Brian