Front differential noise.

I think my front differential is making a grinding noise when starting cold and putting it into D and right away using the break, something in the front end makes a grinding noise but goes away shorty. I don't know what it is but I think its the Front diff. any input is welcome.

1k miles before I ever really got it to redline, It recently stopped after I posted. I'm thinking it could be the drivers side brakes because when I brake the truck goes to the left. Maybe the brake vibrates at startup or something or its just F*cked, Why would my truck go to the left when braking.

It sounds like the same noise a lot of us are hearing, kind of like a tire rubbing. it happens during braking and turns. Mine does seem to do it more when its cold now that I think about it.

GM has some issues that need to be worked out on their AWD systems, for sure. I just got my '02 Denali back after 4 trips to the dealer for gear noise. they found a front diff with metal shavings, front axle bearings that were toast, and a rear diff that needed to be rebuilt. And this was the first truck that I never towed anything with :wtf: It's been 4 or 5 months since I started trying to get the problem resolved. Anyway, the noise is gone but many of the AWD GM vehicles I have driven will have a slight noise while braking, I think it's just the design.

Anyone with 22" wheels your right tire will rub on the front of the tire on the splash wheel well guard, just cut aliitle bit of the piece that rubs and there you go, on the splash guard that is not the tire.

Today I was driving in the snow storm going 30 and when it down shifted I heard a big clunk WTF is up with our drive train, If the damn noises were consistant I could pin point it but they just happen when you least expect it.

GM's are known for a whole ton of play in the rear axle. My '04 is tighter than my '00 and '02 were. :(

The locker isn't supposed to engage over 20mph or so... not sure if that will help anyone out. :(

My front end has been making a whole ton of noise at times. It seems to happen mostly when I've just come off of power, and immediately turn. If I give the truck a second to think about it, it's never as loud.

Oh yeah, the brake noise - my older trucks used to make a much louder noise. Now I hardly hear it. It used to be a groaning/grumbling noise kind of like an angry windshield-washer-fluid pump. It comes from the driver side firewall. If I was on the brakes at the time, the pedal would drop a bit and/or I cold feel it.

I think the check happens at 7mph or so.

• 7 years later...

I'd love to hear more information on this brake check deal if anyone cares to share their knowledge!

Thanks guys...

David

Or the sound could be the computer doing a brake check; I read somewhere that the truck does some type of test when first driving off and it makes some type of clunk noise… :confused:

Archived