front bump stops

2004ss

i have a question about my front bump stops. i have searched already and didn't find what i was looking for. my front drivers bump stop is touching the control arm. the pass side is close to the same 1/8" off i would say. would cutting back one or 2 of the ribs on the bump stop help me out? i have the bilstein shocks at all 4 corners. thanks justin

I looked at CoolBlueSS's truck very closely a few weeks ago on this exact issue (his truck is bone stock); the rubber snubbers are *just* kissing the metal pads on the LCA; if you have lowered your truck then trim them so they just touch the LCA so the response is correct, then if the front of the truck rides stiff drill "relief holes" around the circumference as demonstrated in my how-to.

The LCA bumpstops are actually progressive dampers, and must be adjusted to continue to do so; too long and you will have a stiff ride and dangerous handling in turns on uneven pavement (you'll go sliding off the side of the road) - too much air gap and the truck will feel like a cheap old 60's torsion-bar sprung Chrysler land barge until you corner too agressively and then again go sliding off the road... Those rubber bumpstops are made of special rubber with a special beehive design for a reason, so they gently load-up as the weight (cornering/body roll) piles on.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)