does the front end growl ever end?!!

So I just go tmy truck back from the dealer yesterday, they replaced the whole front diff (I checked to be sure). Guess what.......The growl is still there, maybe a little worse actualy! I am really pulling my hair out here, I had to wait three weeks for a part, just to get the work done, and now this; do you guys have any experiance dealing with this, its driving me nuts!! :banghead:

I recently talked to a technician who owns a Z71. Took it in to the dealer they rebuilt the front diff. under warranty. They found nothing wrong, but rebuilt it because of known problems with the front diffs. He gets his truck back still has the growling noise when he turns. He doesn't go back to the dealer, he starts checking out the truck at his shop. Feels that the noise might be from a front hub bearing. Replaces bearing, noise gone.

He replaced the bearing because it seemed to be more noticeable when turning one way versus the other, common symptom with bearing assemblies. He did say he wasn't sure this would fix it because the noise was not the same as what he normally hears with a bearing failure.

The verdict: If you have your front diff rebuilt/ replaced and still have noise issues, have someone check the front hub bearing assemblies.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my truck last thursday to the dealership for the front-end groan or growl when turning. They checked it out and said that there isn't anything wrong with it. I find it hard to believe that these noises are just the "nature of the beast" as they are trying to tell me. I was trying to get this fixed because my warranty goes out in three weeks. My truck only has 31K on it.

Edited by TAR 71 (see edit history)

I took my truck last thursday to the dealership for the front-end groan or growl when turning. They checked it out and said that there isn't anything wrong with it. I find it hard to believe that these noises are just the "nature of the beast" as they are trying to tell me. I was trying to get this fixed because my warranty goes out in three weeks. My truck only has 31K on it.

My dealership told me the same thing, that this is normal sounds from the front end of AWD trucks..My truck does not do it all the time though, thats the strange part... :dunno:

My dealership told me the same thing, that this is normal sounds from the front end of AWD trucks..My truck does not do it all the time though, thats the strange part... :dunno:

Mine does it almost every slow turn I make. Does the awd drive system in these trucks work differently than a 4x4 in 4whl hi. I've been in a few late models GM 4x4's and they didn't make these sounds when the front was locked in. I would think that the front-end set-up would be the same or very similar. This is why I don't think this is normal.

Front end growl IS NOT NORMAL.

It is a symptom of worn front end bearings ... whether their carrier bearings, or hub bearings.

I just had all of mine replaced, and it sounds great! (What I mean by that is that there IS NO sound)

TAR71 ... you mentioned that the front end setup might be similar between the AWD trucks, and those w/ 4x4 ... but, actually there is a difference.

The axle is shaped differently on trucks w/ 4WD ... the shaft housing is larger in diameter toward the diff. to accomodate the actuator ...

I'll try to get a pic if I find one ...

Just had mine replaced last week... I picked the truck up yesterday and it still makes noise... I believe the dealer changed the gears, the housing and all the bearings... but I'm still waiting to get copy of the work order. I'm starting to think that mine is the wheel bearings, so I need to go back into the dealership and get those looked at... for FREE might I add :yellow_loser: (i know some people who know some people that can pull strings :) )

It is a symptom of worn front end bearings ... whether their carrier bearings, or hub bearings.

How can you tell which bearings are making the noise? Mine growls almost all the time going straight. I'm guessing that the carrier bearings are the problem. If so how much am I looking at to have them replaced by the stealership? I'd do it myself but I don't have the know how or time.

How can you tell which bearings are making the noise? Mine growls almost all the time going straight. I'm guessing that the carrier bearings are the problem. If so how much am I looking at to have them replaced by the stealership? I'd do it myself but I don't have the know how or time.

I would stay away from the stealership ... not because of price, but because of procedure ...

The guy that I take my truck to has a buddy that works in a GM dealership. His buddy said that when they do the front end rebuild, all they do is slap new bearings in. They don't check pre-load or anything ...

Take it somewhere, to someone that will do the rebuild right. Mine was less than $1000

I would stay away from the stealership ... not because of price, but because of procedure ...

The guy that I take my truck to has a buddy that works in a GM dealership. His buddy said that when they do the front end rebuild, all they do is slap new bearings in. They don't check pre-load or anything ...

Take it somewhere, to someone that will do the rebuild right. Mine was less than $1000

I hoping I don't have to do a rebuild, just new bearings. If that's the case what should I expect to pay?

I hoping I don't have to do a rebuild, just new bearings. If that's the case what should I expect to pay?

< 1K ... hopefully