Replacing Rotors

silverss05

• 5 months later...

I just hit 37000 miles and am metal-on-metal on the rear. I figure if I am going to put new brakes on, I might as well upgrade a bit. I found that through one of my vendors, I can buy kits from powerslot that will allow you to put 14" brakes on your truck all the way around using the stock calipers. I can get the front an rear brake kits for around $400 for each axle. To make the cross over, all you need is to provide your own pads. I guess the kit comes with the 14" rotors, a location bracket, and the hardware. You put the new 14" rotors on, and then mount your existing calipers (loaded up with whatever new pads you choose to put in them) using the relocating bracket with the enclosed hardware. I may own my own auto parts store, but it doesn't mean that I have $1500 an axle to throw on my truck to make it stop a little better. I figure that for $1000, I can have 14" slotted rotors all the way around with the factory caliper (not the best, but certainly could be much worse) loaded up with some Hawk pads. I am going to order them on Monday and will hopefully have them on the truck by Friday. If this turns out to be a decent decision, I'll tell you guys how to get them to upgrade your own brakes for a reasonable price. Email me if you have any suggestions or questions.

RAD TOYS

I just hit 37000 miles and am metal-on-metal on the rear. I figure if I am going to put new brakes on, I might as well upgrade a bit. I found that through one of my vendors, I can buy kits from powerslot that will allow you to put 14" brakes on your truck all the way around using the stock calipers. I can get the front an rear brake kits for around $400 for each axle. To make the cross over, all you need is to provide your own pads. I guess the kit comes with the 14" rotors, a location bracket, and the hardware. You put the new 14" rotors on, and then mount your existing calipers (loaded up with whatever new pads you choose to put in them) using the relocating bracket with the enclosed hardware. I may own my own auto parts store, but it doesn't mean that I have $1500 an axle to throw on my truck to make it stop a little better. I figure that for $1000, I can have 14" slotted rotors all the way around with the factory caliper (not the best, but certainly could be much worse) loaded up with some Hawk pads. I am going to order them on Monday and will hopefully have them on the truck by Friday. If this turns out to be a decent decision, I'll tell you guys how to get them to upgrade your own brakes for a reasonable price. Email me if you have any suggestions or questions.

RAD TOYS

Hi--I am very interested in this kit and really would like to know the outcome of the install. I couldn't believe how small the front rotors were on this truck--they seem smaller than the rears (optical illusion?), and are barely adequate for the job (I am accustomed to monster Brembos on my BMW). I was looking at some of the 4 and 6 piston kits, but they are terribly expensive (even more so than for performance cars--wtf?!?!), although I have seen some nice Silverado's and Escalades with these big brake kits and they look great.

In any event, if you would please report back, I would really appreciate it. Also, any good pad recommendations with this kit? EBC? Hawks? TIA!!!

the rears are bigger to house the parking brake.

i, too, am curious how this would work out. i just posted up a discussion about upgrading rotor size, im not against it, im against the $1500 per axle!!!!

for $400 an axle, it might be nice though...

get the BAER ERADISPEED 14" rotor kit, its a light weight two piece rotor with aluminum hat for less rotating mass. its like $800

Is it $800 for the front (pair of rotors?)? Are spacers for the calipers included? Any recommendations on pads? I just think it's stupid ot have tiney fronts and massive rear brake rotors--and how are they brake balanced at the factory to compensate for this? Just doesn't make any sense... TIA!!

Is it $800 for the front (pair of rotors?)? Are spacers for the calipers included? Any recommendations on pads? I just think it's stupid ot have tiney fronts and massive rear brake rotors--and how are they brake balanced at the factory to compensate for this? Just doesn't make any sense... TIA!!

No you get everything, calipers, pads, rotors, harware; this kit is VERY highly recommended and if you keep an eye on eBay you can find good used ones go by every couple months for $500-600. I would encourage you to save your money to afford one of these kits if you can't swing it right now, it's one of the best improvements you can put on the truck.

Mr. P.

dang brakes cost too much. This modding sh!t has really added up for me. I thought about going with the slotted rotors and new pads since $800 is a lot of $$$$$. Someday I'll get up the nerve to drop the cash but not today :driving:

dang brakes cost too much. This modding sh!t has really added up for me. I thought about going with the slotted rotors and new pads since $800 is a lot of $$$$$. Someday I'll get up the nerve to drop the cash but not today :driving:

uh, you're driving a 40k dollar truck... :yellow_loser: I agree that brakes are probably the singular most important upgrade on a vehicle like this. I'm fortunate that I bought a used truck with some thoughtful mods (could have done worse), but I would have done brakes first, no matter what. I'm trying to carefully consider my options before I buy, but, for example, Wilwoods are not out of the question--brakes are that important to me. :driving: Still, it looks like the Eradispeeds will accomplish what I want (all stop, no unnecessary bling) and at the right price. Thanks guys!!!