New to the site

Lorant

Hi guys, im am new to the site. I recently sold my Dakota R/T that i built up for 3 years, i dont know if anyone cares, but some of you guys can appreciate turning something that stock turned a 14.9@91 to a beast that turned a [email protected], had an 11 second 1/4 in it, but never got around to running it on a cool night. I was looking through the new hot rod mag, and saw the reg cab SS in there, and that thing is right up my alley. I emailed the guys at wheel to wheel that are building the motors for those trucks, but have not got a response back from them yet. My R/T was supercharged, and my opinion, there is nothing quite like driving a turbo'd or supercharged vehicle, so my main concern was whether or not it would be feasible to put a blower on it. From what they stated it will have a 10.5:1 compression ratio, which is rather high, especially if you want to run a blower, and i would think that detonation would be a problem, and you can only retard the timing so much. I know hot spots in the heads and poor intake/head flow are cuases too from excess heat. You could probably shoot a small shot of nitrous right after the discharge on the blower, or alcohol/water injection to help cool the charge off.

I stopped at the local Chevy dealer and they knew about the Ext. Cab SS, but couldnt tell me anything about this reg cab, do any of you have any info on it? I hope the guy from wheel to wheel emails me back about the questions i had about the motorwork. Sorry for the long email, i hope some of you guys can help me out here. Thanks in advance!

Anthony

I also have a subscription to Hot Rod. The SCSB Silverado SS you see there is at the moment a Concept and nothing more. There are rumors that it will be avalible in 2004, but they are only just that, rumors.

The compression ratio on that concept engine is pretty high to run a blower, thats really a question for the engine makers to answer. However, I wll say this. It is rare that a concept vehicle comes straight from the concept to production unchanged. Personally I think if they do bring this regular cab SS to reality it will have a more potent version of the current 6.0L HO, but it wont have the advertised 395 HP. Again this is PURE speculation.

Anyway, my plan is to take the 2003 Black SCSB Silverado I just bought and dress it like the SS, while at the same time turning it into a Lightning killer. I opted for the 4.8 because its the only V8 avalible with the 5-Speed. Anyway my best time stock is 15.4@87, thats with the open 3.42 rear end and the Goodyear 235 all terrian tires (NOT good for traction).

My point is this, the newer LS-1 based engines in our trucks can be made to be VERY potent, so even if they dont put 395 HP in one day its nothing you cant obtain with a little work. And remember the T-56 bolts right up to our engines :ph34r:

Demon Silverado, good luck with your truck. A 15.4 is not a bad time for a stock truck, especially with the stock rear end you have on it, and the size of your motor, you also have to factor in the weight of the full size truck. Supercharging is a good way to go, nitrous is easy too, just i personally dont think its as much fun, but to each their own. Supercharging is probably one of easiest things to do, but at the same time the most time consuming, because they are fine in stock form, but you always want more HP, which requires a lot of tuning, especially when it comes to fuel curves in proportion to boost. I loved every minute tuning my old truck, work on it all week, and then run it friday night. I also had 2.02" big valve heads and a custom grind cam, and a list of other things on it, but i wont list them. It takes a while, but with a little time and money (that is always the hard part), you get where you want to be, good luck with your truck.

Anthony

Thanks man, thats the plan.

Gonna go with intake and full exaust (headders, High flow cats, X-pipe you know the works), 3.73 w/Eaton Posi, then a custom grind from Comp along with LS-1 Edit programming, and that should punch me into the high 13's. From there a blower. I'm also not a fan of Nitrous, I may use it once for a best time, but that's all. :ph34r:

Archived