What's The Deal With Whipple?!

R/T 4U2NV

Why is everyone all hyped up over whipple. IMO, they are at the bottom of the rung. They are superchargers for the lowrider crew who just want to have a supercharger.

If you want real horsepower Vortech is the way to go. Personally, I'd like to see Paxton come out with a blower for the SS. That would be prime.

I plan on trading my R/T in for a RC 2WD SS when it comes out and I'll be putting on a Vortech. I mean, if this is an LS1 based engine then there should be no reason why the Vortech wouldn't put the Whipple to shame.

Let's not forget it is a TRUCK. Why would you want the instant boost of a Whipple? That'll just hurt traction even more.

R/T 4U2NV -

Have you done much research on the pros and cons of the various types of superchargers? A centrifugal blower works great, at red line. But how much time do you spend there?

Perhaps you should read the comparison that superchargersonline.com put together

http://www.superchargersonline.com/techart....asp?RecordID=3

They sell all types, so they are not slanting it one way or the other.

The short answer is, when you have a heavy vehicle to move, the screw supercharger is great, because it gives boost at low RPMs, helping you get up to speed. It also is more useful for daily driving and towing, where you don't want to have to be driving WOT all the way up the hill. Think about it, the more time you spend under boost, the more power you are making. The characteristics of a screw supercharger are ideal for a truck.

As far a traction problems go, I am getting the Ext Cab Silverado SS, which is AWD. I am thinking it will be hard to break traction, even with a Whipple. Besides, the Furd Lightning guys seem to be able to launch with out trouble. They are RWD with a roots type blower, which has a similar power curve to a Screw type supercharger. I haven't heard of one of them switching to a centrifugal blower. But some are switching over to screw superchargers (from Kenne Bell) for extra power. Think about that.

R/T 4U2NV -

Have you done much research on the pros and cons of the various types of superchargers? A centrifugal blower works great, at red line. But how much time do you spend there?

Perhaps you should read the comparison that superchargersonline.com put together

http://www.superchargersonline.com/techart....asp?RecordID=3

They sell all types, so they are not slanting it one way or the other.

The short answer is, when you have a heavy vehicle to move, the screw supercharger is great, because it gives boost at low RPMs, helping you get up to speed. It also is more useful for daily driving and towing, where you don't want to have to be driving WOT all the way up the hill. Think about it, the more time you spend under boost, the more power you are making. The characteristics of a screw supercharger are ideal for a truck.

As far a traction problems go, I am getting the Ext Cab Silverado SS, which is AWD. I am thinking it will be hard to break traction, even with a Whipple. Besides, the Furd Lightning guys seem to be able to launch with out trouble. They are RWD with a roots type blower, which has a similar power curve to a Screw type supercharger. I haven't heard of one of them switching to a centrifugal blower. But some are switching over to screw superchargers (from Kenne Bell) for extra power. Think about that.

Ya, what he said! :D B)

B) I WILL BE GOING TO WHIPPLE BECAUSE OF THE CONSTANT LOW RPM POWER CURVE.

THE VORTEC AND THE LIKE MAKE THEIR POWER IN A HIGH RPM WHICH IS GREAT FOR DRAG RACING,BUT SUCKS ON THE STREET.BESIDES I THINK EVERYONE HERE DRIVES THEIR TRUCKS AND USES THEM FOR TOWING,WORK ECT.I DO!!!

BTW

SPORT TRUCKS DID A TECH ARTICLE ON THE WHIPPLE ON A 5.3 ,IT MADE MORE HP AND TORQUE THAN THE OTHERS.

IT GETS MY VOTE FOR THE SAME MONEY AND WILL NOT VOID GM POWERTRAIN WARRANTY . :)

Archived