Money

SS Silv

How do you guys afford everything for your truck and your other hobbies? Loans, credit cards, good job, or just living by every paycheck.

I think I just have way to many hobbies going on at once, between my truck/stereo and my saltwater fish tank, I barely make it from each paycheck. :banghead:

Does anyone dare to share there credit card debts? haha.

I don't know, I thought maybe this would make me feel better knowing that other people might be in the same boat as I.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just about in the same boat. a few credit card debts, nothing to crazy. A few costly hobbies, 4wheelers, jet ski's, My car projects ( my firebird- ran up a few cards :jester: ) and a couple others sitting on the back burner for now. I do well, I run a repair shop with my dad, helps keep the car project cost reasonable :jester: . I miss a pay check its not the end of the world but my money does get tight from time to time.

too many hobbies thats the killer. I USED to be able to save money and I am trying again to. But before it used to just be paycheck to paycheck. Bad habit IMO. I am getting better at it, save a percentage of what I get.

The best bet it to just get a hobby that its expensive at first and then pays off later so you can still enjoy it after the fact and you wont be dumping too much money into it. Saltwater tanks can be that way. However, it goes both ways. :cheers: And yeah I hate debt. I only use my check card and just use my credit card for gas.

i turned one of my hobbies into a small part time side business and was able to pay off my truck this past year. Still at home with the mom due to a family emergency a couple months ago so now I just work a buttload of hours and dont spend much money. Although right now I'm not getting to much money due to my company losing our largest contract it looks like I need to find something else to do. Looks like I am also moving to AZ end of May so now its time to save even more and quit all the partying and dropping $100's just on a night of fun. Pretty much, I have no life now and I'm actually ok with that. I def need a better job though.

well first off you have to make a good paycheck.

then you give your 10% to GOD

pay your bills on time.

plan your expenses wisely.

i dont use credit very much. if i cant pay for it i dont need it.

and right now i have to pay 900 a month for spousal support

but GOD is good to me and makes sure i have what i need.

You could resort to sexual favors :jester::jester:

You gotta budget. Specific advice - what I do is maintain a 6-month personal budget; I literally have a spreadsheet with every expected income/expense listed for the coming six months (line-by-line) and keep it updated, that allows me to build up $$$ to afford the big-ticket items. Budgeting also allows you to have the funds at hand when a great deal unexpectedly pops-up; if a guy suddenly posts that he's got good used Baer Alumasports at $500 off retail (:D) and you've got cash in hand you just saved yourself $500! And I don't care who you are, $500 saved is a lot of damned money. And don't just limit yourself to watching the forum FS ads, lurk in the Fbody and Vette forums too because A LOT of times you will find somebody that has good parts they're wanting to unload, and all you need is the cash in hand to pounce. Also get out there and stay very involved in the wrecking yard and with your good 'ol boys, example I just heard 3 weeks ago a guy in Houston just bought a LS2 longblock out of a wrecked TBSS for $1400 - stuff like this is going on around you all the time.

Another piece of advice - and I know this happens a lot but DO NOT buy anything automotive on a credit card, line of credit, or roll it into your monthly payment - you are cutting your own throat for an item that literally the second you ring it up is worth HALF it's retail value and additionally you're paying interest on top of that; bad bad bad. You may get your mod but overall your financial worth is far worse off than before you made the purchase. There is nothing about car crafting that is an investment (makes you money) so for god's sake don't buy it on credit - if you can't pay cash for it, don't get it; if something is that damned important then be dedicated enough to work for and buy it.

Third - as you make real friends who are also car crafting guys you will discover that some of them deal with the aftermarket and can get you jobber costs on stuff, especially participants in this forum there are quite a few guys with dealer connections and they keep it on the down-low. Remember (important life lesson here) you are who you surround yourself with.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

well first off you have to make a good paycheck.

then you give your 10% to GOD

pay your bills on time.

plan your expenses wisely.

i dont use credit very much. if i cant pay for it i dont need it.

and right now i have to pay 900 a month for spousal support

but GOD is good to me and makes sure i have what i need.

10% to GOD translation around here is that money is to help the preachers drive $50K vehicles and live in $300k houses so I don't donate to that cause.