OnStar going silent on millions of vehicles

Black2003SS

OnStar going silent on millions of vehicles

Caitlin Kollar

Chris Tye

Created: 2/23/2007 2:10:28 AM

Updated:2/23/2007 10:31:12 AM

CLEVELAND -- It's become one of the most popular features in 21st century cars. But starting next year, when you hit the OnStar button there's a good chance no one will answer you.

A smart and simple service offering directions, diagnostics and disaster assistance is about to get a little more complicated.

Since OnStar began, when a customer hits the button, an analog signal leaves the vehicle to retrieve information. As of next January, if you're OnStar is analog it will totally stop working.

Next year, the FCC will no longer require wireless networks to carry analog signals, so it's going away and OnStar will only work if it is digital.

Letters have been mailed to all affected customers, telling them that their analog only signal leaves them with a system that will not operate past December 31, 2007.

"Unfortunately, people will have to purchase a digital kit and we'll be able to bring them up to date with their system," says Warren McCaskey of Central Cadillac.

Here's how you can tell if you're affected:

If your car was made in model years '96 through 2004 your service will end this year.

Only cars made from '02 through '04 can be upgraded.

Upgrades cost between $299 and $579, and that includes service.

Cars from 2006 through the present won't need upgrades.

The article doesnt mention 2005 vehicles. It says 2006+ are good, which doesnt imply 2005's are good, but it contraricts itself saying 1999-2004's will no longer work, also failing to mention 2005's. I would call onstar and just ask.

i was wondering the same thing.

The article doesnt mention 2005 vehicles. It says 2006+ are good, which doesnt imply 2005's are good, but it contraricts itself saying 1999-2004's will no longer work, also failing to mention 2005's. I would call onstar and just ask.

I called them. Some 2005 are digital already, some aren't. I thought about doing the digital upgrade, so I could add the on-star line to my existing cell phone account. If I were to upgrade to the digital, I could.

I called them. Some 2005 are digital already, some aren't. I thought about doing the digital upgrade, so I could add the on-star line to my existing cell phone account. If I were to upgrade to the digital, I could.

That would be sweet. Mine is equipped with OnStar, but I'm not subscribed. If the upgrade could be tied to a cell phone I might consider it.

that there is b.s.. :yellow_loser:

It is not BS, the analog networks are being shut down because of something called the Sunset Clause, the FCC is requiring that all analog radio networks be shut down by February 2008. They are supposed to be converting to a GSM style digital network, like Cingular.

:cheers: