What is the purpose of a cowl hood?

Simon

I know this questions sounds a bit stupid but what are the benefits of having a cowl induction hood? I know it looks better but is there any real advantage like dissipating the heat under the hood or something?

I can figure that the ram air hood will bring more air into the CAI but what about the rain and snow, they will keep my engine bay dirty and wet?

My cowl has an opening against the lower windshield area, making it for the most part functional. what makes it non functional is the intake draws from the front of the truck. As far as heat goes I would say it does help with under hood temps, but how much who knows. So to answer your question for the most part they are looks yes.

Asides from great looks, it lets heat escape at the rear cowl opening (you can actually see the heat coming out like looking over a hot stove). Since heat rises, and air is flowing through the engine compartment from my eletric fans, it helps release heat generated from the blower and headers. Also, I didn't transfer the stock hood insulation to the cowl hood so there is unobstructed flow.

Although it may not be the function that the original creators of that style hood had in mind back in the late 60's, it does serve a purpose. :thumbs:

Aside from helping dissipate heat,the original cowl induction hoods on the chevelles theoretically drew in air that would form at the base of the windsheild/hood and draw it in(cooler iar in=more horsepower out),aside from that the cowl hoods are taller alowing you to run taller intakes,carbuerators and different air cleaners.Today however it is used mostly for looks unless you buy a functional cowl hood with ram air.

• 1 month later...