need help picking between 2 tires

shadowsniper3006

Hey guys,

i just bought a new set of 20" rims to race with(and i know i'll be doing a lot of street driving to), but now i need to pick out the best tire for my application. I narrowed it down to 2 tires, the Kumho ECSTA SPT, and the General Exclaim UHP. Both tires come in 245/40/20 (27.7x9.6) and are priced with in 3 bucks. I like the Kumho better, from the looks of the tread it would seem to have the best traction on the track, it also has a lower tread wear rating so it should be a softer compound to(320 vs. 380). The main reason i'm thinking of the general is the load rating. Both of these tires are car tires not truck tires so their load ratings are low to begin with. I'm not going to be towing with these tires so not worried about that, but the load rating worries me a little to begin with. The Kumho is 1521lbs and the general is 1708lbs. The general is about 3lbs per tire lighter to.

So what do you guys think??? Should i even worry at all? what tire do you like?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...del=Exclaim+UHP

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Model=ECSTA+SPT

thanks!!!!!

Brad

the general look a little more aggressive ...but to me there both look along the same lines...but i guess the softer compound would be better for the track...but are you having a traction problem

not having a traction problem yet, my stall is way to tight. like around 22-2400. but going from a 31.6" tire to a 27.7" i don't know what to expect. The only reason i thought the kumho would have better traction was the solid bands in the center, looks like a slick in that area.

Brad

I like the General. Just an opinion. FWIW, going to a 27.7" tire is extreme especially in a 20" rim. I use a standard all season Dunlop for the track (29.1") and have just enough gear to cross the lines at 5900RPMs. Depending on your set-up, a 27.7" tire may be too short. I have a traction problem with them as they are not drag tires, just an all season truck tire.

I like the General. Just an opinion. FWIW, going to a 27.7" tire is extreme especially in a 20" rim. I use a standard all season Dunlop for the track (29.1") and have just enough gear to cross the lines at 5900RPMs. Depending on your set-up, a 27.7" tire may be too short. I have a traction problem with them as they are not drag tires, just an all season truck tire.

do you think the tire size is extreme because of the small side wall or because of gear ratio? I'm thinking with the converter as tight as it is it might work out right?? right now i have i have the volant cai with ram air, pcm tuned in person by Frank and zippy, underdrive pulley, TEA stage 2.5 heads 69cc and a comp cam.

No one thinks the load rating will be a problem?

Thanks

Brad

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

here is what it looks like with a diff. rim.

http://www.streetsourcemag.com/ViewOwnerPr...Profileid=34127

i was concerned about the side wall..or lack there of, to. for the life of me i can't remember my rpm at the quarter, but i'm pretty sure that the truck shifts into 3rd at 85 and i cross the lights at 93mph so i must have a whole lot of 3rd gear left?

Brad

I personally have no concern with the load rating. I am concerned with sidewall in the 27.X tall tire in a 20" rim though. I am not sure on how you will look on the top end with respect to gearing either. :dunno:

i just checked on the way home, i should be crossing the line at around 4500 rpm. Do you think i will have enough left shifting at 5800 or 6000?