Ventilation System - Need Help

Hankg42

I noticed yesterday that no matter what setting I move the Mode knob to on the "Dual Climate Control System", the air flow only goes through the defroster. (I do not have the "Automatic" system with the temperature settings.) All other controls (fan, heat, A/C, etc.) seem to work fine, it just won't change the air flow to any other outlet (floor, dash, etc.). I did a search, but didn't find anything. Has anyone seen this before? I need some help with this. Thanks.

TTT

BTW... I had already checked the 2 HVAC fuses, and they were OK. I had the battery disconnected for about a 1/2 hour yesterday to install my PCMforLess module. I don't think that culd have caused it.

I had to replace the recirculation vent actuator control motor. It was a PITA and I was able to do it without removing the seats and console. Maybe your switch is bad...hopefully anyway. The other problem I had with my HVAC system was the blower motor resistor...got one of those for free from the junkyard. I would definately try the switch before anything else.

Dave

I had to replace the recirculation vent actuator control motor. It was a PITA and I was able to do it without removing the seats and console. Maybe your switch is bad...hopefully anyway. The other problem I had with my HVAC system was the blower motor resistor...got one of those for free from the junkyard. I would definately try the switch before anything else.

Dave

Thanks for the information. As much as I hate to do it, I think I'm going to schedule a dealer visit. My warranty doesn't expire until July, so I might as well see if they can fix it. I really didn't want to bring it in, but I will.

The dealer diagnosed the problem as the the recirculation vent actuator control motor, as you said. They had to order the part, and are replacing it under warranty. The tech said he basically has to take the dash apart to get at it, but changing the part itself is simple (2 screws). I think that's a job better suited for him rather than me.

The dealer diagnosed the problem as the the recirculation vent actuator control motor, as you said. They had to order the part, and are replacing it under warranty. The tech said he basically has to take the dash apart to get at it, but changing the part itself is simple (2 screws). I think that's a job better suited for him rather than me.
Especially since it's for free. We sell more actuators that anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
Especially since it's for free. We sell more actuators that anything else.

I dropped the truck off at the dealer 7:30 this morning to have the actuator replaced. They called me at 4:00 this afternoon to say it's not fixed yet and they have to keep the truck overnight and finish it tomorrow! WTF? I can't wait to see how they put my dash back together. I hope they have the right side facing out! :(

I had 2 of these replaced in my VHO under warranty (I have auto air). There was a relearn proceedure used even when you replace only 1 of these motors, so I think you did good to take it to the dealer. Just make sure when you pick ur truck up the front edge of the dash is clipped in correctly where it meets the windshield. There should be a even gap at the windsheild bottom -the black edge the whole length of the dash (from left to right), if not you will have a "new dash rattle" that will drive u NUTS!! LOL!!! They missed it the first time they replaced 1 of my motors, and I let them know about it the 2nd time it was in for the other motor (about a week later) and they made it right... :thumbs: Don't worry I'm sure they are just taking the time to do it CAREFULLY on your SS Silverado

I had 2 of these replaced in my VHO under warranty (I have auto air). There was a relearn proceedure used even when you replace only 1 of these motors, so I think you did good to take it to the dealer. Just make sure when you pick ur truck up the front edge of the dash is clipped in correctly where it meets the windshield. There should be a even gap at the windsheild bottom -the black edge the whole length of the dash (from left to right), if not you will have a "new dash rattle" that will drive u NUTS!! LOL!!! They missed it the first time they replaced 1 of my motors, and I let them know about it the 2nd time it was in for the other motor (about a week later) and they made it right... :thumbs: Don't worry I'm sure they are just taking the time to do it CAREFULLY on your SS Silverado

Thanks for the info. I've been going back and forth between "I'm sure they are taking their time to do it right" and "I wonder what they broke". I hope you are right! I guess I'll find out later today. :confused:

Just got the latest bad news... they have to keep my truck another couple of days. "Parts are on order." I can't help but wonder if there will be something else wrong with it when I get it back. They're going to give me a loaner. Wonder if they have a spare Z06? :)

Well... today is Thursday, and they've had the truck since Monday. I have a fabulous :nonod: Malibu to cruise around in! I went past the dealer both Tuesday and yesterday, and looked inside. Parts are still sitting on the seats, but the dash isn't in as many pieces as I thought it would be. I hope I get it back today. :sigh: When I know the whole story, I'll post up what all they had to replace. I want my truck back!

Well... after a total of 5 days at the dealer, I have the truck back, and everything seems to be working fine. The story I got was that they put in the first actuator they had ordered, but the mode still would not change from defrost. So they diagnosed some more, and ordered a cam for the actuator. Still NG. Some more diagnosis, and it turns out the replacement actuator was NFG. Ordered another actuator, put it in, and that worked. :thumbs: It's amazing how much you can miss your vehicle! Glad to have it back. :) So far, it does not look like they messed anything else up. All the trim is in place and nothing rattling. Good job!