radix dyno numbers!!

I have a 06 SS that just had a new radix 112 supercharger installed by Blown Chevy. I'm very happy with the work he did, but I am a little disappointed with the dyno results.With the truck having mid-length headers and magnaflow muffler and the 3.3 inch pulley on the blower it made 370hp to the rear wheels !! That doesn't seem right, I was thinking/ hoping it would make 425hp maybe 450hp!!! Does anyone know what kind of hp a stock 6.0L engine makes to the rear wheels? I don't know maybe I was expecting to much, what do you guys think? Pat.

i thought all sss's came stock with 345 HP. if you are making 370 with a radix, something's gotta be wrong, right?

That's at the crank. to the wheels is another story. I think I read people say 260 or so to the wheels. 370 to the wheels isn't too bad. You'll need more mods to hit 450 to the wheels.

i thought all sss's came stock with 345 HP. if you are making 370 with a radix, something's gotta be wrong, right?

That's at the crank. to the wheels is another story. I think I read people say 260 or so to the wheels. 370 to the wheels isn't too bad. You'll need more mods to hit 450 to the wheels.

ohh, i see. i learn something new everyday on this site. :thumbs:

Edited by BlackSS04 (see edit history)

Did you ask Bryan or Jeff what they thought of the dyno #'s? Did they do a base run prior to the install to see how much was gained? They've done a lot of blower work, so I would start by talking to them.

The first thing that comes to my attention though, is that you are running a pretty big pulley. I've heard/seen SSS Radix kits come with a few different pulley sizes for some reason. How much boost are you seeing with that 3.3? If you were to go down to at least a 3.0, you will pick up more power. I put on a 2.9 right off the bat, and am pleased with it. Some guys here even go 2.8 or 2.75, but that's a whole other discussion as to how small a pulley the Radix likes to see. Spin a Radix too slow and you're not getting max power, spin it too fast and it runs out of power.

Another thing, did they use the stock Magna tune with the Superchips tuner, or did they do a custom tune while it was on the Dyno? The stock Magna tune is pretty conservative as it is designed to work in all weather conditions seen accross the country (below freezing to AZ summer) and meet the CARB cert, so a more aggresive custom tune suited to your particular truck and the climate in your area will yield more power also.

Technically once you change the pulley or tuning though, you void the Magna warrantee FWIW.

Does anyone know what kind of hp a stock 6.0L engine makes to the rear wheels?

Well, with a Nelson Performance 91 octane tune and a K&N drop in, I made 288 HP and 320 ft-lbs at the rear wheels, corrected for weather on a Mustang loaded dyno. I'd sure be happy with 80 more HP, but I thought the Radix kit was supposed to give more like 120 additional HP. Dunno.

Mike

Thanks guys for all your replys!! It is a superchip tune, but Magna Charger states that with this set-up it will increase the rear wheel hp by 120 hp. I mean wouldn't you think a 6.0 L that makes 345hp to the crank should be somewhere around 275-285 hp to the wheels with headers and a Magnaflow muffler? When I pick the truck up I ask Bryan if he had any ideal what kind of hp it was making to the rear wheels he said maybe 400 to 425hp which to me sounded about right. What kind of gain would I see with a custom tune and maybe a 3.0 pulley? Pat.

Thanks guys for all your replys!! It is a superchip tune, but Magna Charger states that with this set-up it will increase the rear wheel hp by 120 hp. I mean wouldn't you think a 6.0 L that makes 345hp to the crank should be somewhere around 275-285 hp to the wheels with headers and a Magnaflow muffler? When I pick the truck up I ask Bryan if he had any ideal what kind of hp it was making to the rear wheels he said maybe 400 to 425hp which to me sounded about right. What kind of gain would I see with a custom tune and maybe a 3.0 pulley? Pat.

Now I'm a little confused. Your first post stated 370 to the wheels at dyno testing, but you now say Bryan guestimated 400-425. Did you have it dyno'd somewhere else after picking it up?

With each .10" that you pulley down, you will increase boost by 1 psi. Each additional lb of boost gains an additional 15-20hp at the wheels. So if you go to a 3.0, you'd gain an additional 45-60hp. Or go with the 2.9 and add a custom tune and you'll pick up even more.

It's a little late to bring this up now, but why didn't you go with the newly available bigger/badder MP-122?

2004 Denali, Mark what engine do you have and what hp was it rated at? Pnblwzd, it was dyno somewhere else after I pick it up! The reason I didn't go for the 122 was told the bigger throttle body wouldn't work on my 06!! Are you saying if I put the 3.0 pulley on I won't need a custom tune? Pat

Edited by santomen (see edit history)

2004 Denali, Mark what engine do you have and what hp was it rated at? Pnblwzd, it was dyno somewhere else after I pick it up! The reason I didn't go for the 122 was told the bigger throttle body wouldn't work on my 06!! Are you saying if I put the 3.0 pulley on I won't need a custom tune? Pat

I can't say for sure if the stock Magna tune will support a 3.0 pulley, that's a question for Bryan & crew. I would venture to guess that it probably would, but would do even better with a tune. However, even your current 3.3 would run better with a tune, but downsizing the pulley and retuning is a pretty common thing to do with these.

As for the 122: Not sure why the 90mm TB wouldn't work on an '06, unless it's different from the earlier years. Let me elaborate though; Yes it IS true that it won't work if you just bolt it on and plug it in. There are a couple things you would need to change at the same time; You would of course first need to get a 90mm TB, a different TAC module to controll it, and a harness adaptor to plug it in, just like with any other year SSS. After that it should work, I just did it on my '03 no problem :thumbs: