Wondering if SC is causing the cats to whine?

For the first time today I heard a whining like a bad ground. I pulled into the gas station and the sound was coming from under the truck. I drove the truck in some slow traffic so trans temps were up a little above 150 or so and the truck was getting a little warm. the noise could be coming from the cats or exhaust. I was wondering if the SC was causing my cats to go bad or if they make a whinning noice when they get hot. I don't want to damage my engine. I'm running the stock radix tune. Any ideas?

Was it like a hiss as if you are having a exhaust leak?

No. I thought it was the SC but noticed it was coming from under the truck. It doesn't do it all the time. It just started yesterday so I'll monitor it for a few days. I'm kinda of worried the rich stock tune is damaging the dynatech cats. I know I've read on the board about one person blowing their engine because of a bad/clogged cat caused by their SC running to rich.

Yes please if you think one of the cats is bad then by all means check it out. I F'd my engine up because of a clogged stock cat. A symptom is that you will see a over boosting condition. If your boost has been higher than normal then you definately have a clogged cat.

Dave

I guess if you are hearing a whine, do you hear it when the truck is idle? When the truck is moving? If it is only when moving, it could also be your front diff going out, which is also common.

I cracked a fly wheel in half once and it made a gear whining sound also. I was amzed it held together for as long as it did because I had been probably driving it that way for a few hundred miles.

Would it also be possible that your starter gear is not retracting fromt he fly wheel properly? That would also cause a severe whining sound and I have seen that happen as well, albeit on older cars, nothing modern.

I'm just trying to throw out some things to check out even if they are a long shot.

I guess if you are hearing a whine, do you hear it when the truck is idle? When the truck is moving? If it is only when moving, it could also be your front diff going out, which is also common.

I cracked a fly wheel in half once and it made a gear whining sound also. I was amzed it held together for as long as it did because I had been probably driving it that way for a few hundred miles.

Would it also be possible that your starter gear is not retracting fromt he fly wheel properly? That would also cause a severe whining sound and I have seen that happen as well, albeit on older cars, nothing modern.

I'm just trying to throw out some things to check out even if they are a long shot.

I drove the truck to work today so I'll be able to monitor on a few hard runs while I'm on out for lunch. The noise almost sounds like a bad ground from the inside. Like an amp is ground bad and picking up engine noise. Hopefully it's just an exhaust leak. But wouldn't I hear the exhaust leak all the time instead of just when it's been driven for 30 mins or so? The noise is there while it idles so it shouldn't be the front diff. Does the clamps on the dynatech system come lose after so many miles?

Mabye the fuel pump? It makes a high pitched whine.

I'll check on that today. I kind of thought about that this weekend. It doesn't whine all the time so if it is the fuel pump, would it be going out on me?

i'm about 99% sure its your inline fuel pump. they are under the truck and whine like a bitch. don't worry about it as long as you have good fuel pressure

I hope so. It doesn't whine all the time and just started Friday. It get pretty loud. I got the fuel pressure gauge hooked up this weekend and the FP stays around 48 or 50 at idle and around 60 at WOT. Does that sound right?

i'm about 99% sure its your inline fuel pump. they are under the truck and whine like a bitch. don't worry about it as long as you have good fuel pressure

I hope so. It doesn't whine all the time and just started Friday. It get pretty loud. I got the fuel pressure gauge hooked up this weekend and the FP stays around 48 or 50 at idle and around 60 at WOT. Does that sound right?

yeah, that sounds perfect fp wise.

i've replaced my inline 3 times now, and all of them have whined at one point or another, sometimes VERY loud. keep an eye on your fp and you'll be fine.

yeah, that sounds perfect fp wise.

i've replaced my inline 3 times now, and all of them have whined at one point or another, sometimes VERY loud. keep an eye on your fp and you'll be fine.

I got under the truck when I got home and it is the fuel pump crying like a b!tch. What's the deal. Is it going to fail on me with less than 1K miles on it? Is this normal for it to whine so loud. I mean it is really loud. :banghead:

You should have heard my electric fuel pump in my 78 Z28...it was a holley returnless pump and it was very very loud. It was as loud as a 8-71 blower on a big block...seriously. Glad it was something simple for you and now I will know what to expect when I get my radix kit installed this month.

You should have heard my electric fuel pump in my 78 Z28...it was a holley returnless pump and it was very very loud. It was as loud as a 8-71 blower on a big block...seriously. Glad it was something simple for you and now I will know what to expect when I get my radix kit installed this month.

It freaked me out when I first heard it. I wonder if there is anything that can be done to make the noise go away. It's louder than the radix when it idles. I wonder if it's possible to build a sound proof box around it? anybody else try to reduce the loud @ss noise this way?