Not Very Happy

There were no marks on the front end of the cam, I never looked at the back end of it. I was so nervous about dropping a lifter, I didn't waste much time swapping the new one back in. I used Comp 918 springs, Comp Chromoly pushrods, stock retainers and locks. There is slightly more valvetrain noise which I was told there would be. I am going to the track today, I'll let you know if there is any difference. I will be taking it to the tuner tomorrow.

There were no marks on the front end of the cam, I never looked at the back end of it. I was so nervous about dropping a lifter, I didn't waste much time swapping the new one back in. I used Comp 918 springs, Comp Chromoly pushrods, stock retainers and locks. There is slightly more valvetrain noise which I was told there would be. I am going to the track today, I'll let you know if there is any difference. I will be taking it to the tuner tomorrow.

Shouldn't you have it tuned first? I would think that beating on it would not be good until it is tuned in. Am I wrong?

Tune it first off.. second off see what kind of power diffrence there is.. Comp cams come with an etching on the back of the cam with both the production date and grind.

I have used several cams in the last few months alone and they all have the same markings I will try and get pics on wed when I reinstall mine.

I think maybe you just under cammed yourself thats not entirely that impressive of a cam spec.. beyond that.. Tuning can make the idle more choppy if you want it that way its about the power.. not the idle.

my .02

IMO, if you installed a cam with your specs and did NOTHING to the tune, you will have some idle issues and most likely a P0300 code thrown within 500 miles.

I did my baby 216/222 and it had issues at idle until tuned,...especially at throttle transitions and stopping from cruising speed.

IMO, if you installed a cam with your specs and did NOTHING to the tune, you will have some idle issues and most likely a P0300 code thrown within 500 miles.

I did my baby 216/222 and it had issues at idle until tuned,...especially at throttle transitions and stopping from cruising speed.

That's what I'm saying. That cam should have had idle issues with a stock tune IMO and based on the chart on Comp's website. It said, noticeable lope and will require tuning.

As far as beating on it without tuning, I only took it to see if there was any difference and since it runs so good, I figure it ain't gonna hurt it. I ordered a NEW cam today, I will let you guys know what the old one is when I get it out. Track times were identical to before, and everything else I have done to the truck (with the stock tune) has shown increases at the track. Hell, I picked up a full tenth with just a muffler change. So, I would have expected to see some difference even without the tune. But there was none. I will be very surprised if it is not a stock cam when I get it out. If I'm wrong, I will admit it. We'll see.

You should be able to definitely hear a difference. Check out the camshaft soundclips section on ls1sounds.com and you'll see what I mean, they've got a couple TR224 cam videos on there.

Mr. P.

btw - the LSA will make a huge difference, a mid-220's duration cam cut on a 114-degree LSA will sound almost stock to the untrained ear if the idle is fast (800-rpm) and the tune is correct. You should definitely hear a rhythmic lope though on a 112-degree LSA.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

I have a Corvette customer at work who has a 224/224 580/580 114 and it sounds good. It has a definate lope. That is what I was going with but found this other one with slightly smaller lift but on a 112 which I figured would still have some lope. Anyways, I ordered the same cam my customer used. It should be in next week, then off to the tuner. I will let you guys know what I find out when the other cam comes back out. You guys said the grind is stamped on the rear of the shaft right? Or at least some numbers that Comp can ID.

their would be a noticable idle and sound difference. the 224/112 rthumps enough to let you know it's their. I think you put in the wrong cam or your received the wrong cam. It would have alot of problems at idle without a tune.

I definately didn't put the wrong one back in. It was the one I bought for sure. Mine should be in today (Thursday), going in tonight then off to the tuner Friday.