Need opinions!

OneBadSSS

Ok, I need peoples' opinions about the quote I just received... I'm looking to get a Radix supercharger and Dynatech LT headers installed in my SSS and so I went straight to Dyno Tuned Performance (DTP) in Chesapeake, VA because they are arguably the best of the very limited number of choices in the area I live in (Hampton Roads area of Virginia). Now they quoted me at $1638.00 for the install of both the Supercharger and the Headers; The cost breakdown is 21 hours of labor at $78.00 an hour. This seems really high to me, especially the total hours to complete the job considering most people say they can do the S/C install on their own in about 8 hours and the headers in about 3 hours. My dilemma is that I want the install done professionally, both to prevent my local Chevy dealer from refusing to do warranty work on my truck (I still have 15 months left on the factory warranty) and because I work 6 days a week and don't have the free time or facilities to do the install myself. So, please provide me your opinions as to whether I should go with these guys for the install or look elsewhere...

as long as the work is good, that is a good quote if you ask me. I paid higher when I had my charger put on my mustang, but the work was superb. But when you get the charger put on, I dont think that gm will honor the warranty even if you have if done professionally will they?

that sound a bit high but if you seen there work and it very good, I would go with it. I think your warranty from the dealer will go bye bye after this type of install

you can call your dealer and ask them before you do it

Well, what does Magnusun publish as the ASE-qualified install time? I think the shop rate is typical but I would expect something more like 12-14 hrs. UNLESS tuning labor is included, maybe your quote includes an additional 8-hrs for custom tuning? :dunno:

Mr. P.

Well, what does Magnusun publish as the ASE-qualified install time? I think the shop rate is typical but I would expect something more like 12-14 hrs. UNLESS tuning labor is included, maybe your quote includes an additional 8-hrs for custom tuning? :dunno:

Mr. P.

No I told them I was going to bring a Nelson tuned PCM for the install because I figured that would be cheaper than having them custom tune it...

:withstupid:

Take a look at this:

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

*I* think it sounds high, but then again I've been accused of "busting balls" on shops' labor quotes. I know I can do the work myself, but sometimes I would rather have someone else do it until I hear the price - then end up doing it myself anyways. Does this price include having them dyno tune it?

I installed my Dynatechs with a mech buddy starting late on a Friday afternoon in about 3 hours, and then we installed the Radix the following Sat from 9-5 - and we had never done one before. We had a lift and air tools, which helped a lot doing the headers from the bottom with the wheels and wheel-wells removed, and took our time and did it right. I've heard reports of 4 hour Radix installs, but this wasn't one of them.

It just comes down to how much is your time worth, and if you want to mess with it.

BTW, what makes you think the dealer will honor your warrantee if you have these guys do the install? The mech friend that helped me with my install WORKS at the dealer, and I know that if I got towed in with a blown motor/trans they wouldn't honor my extended warantee. In fact, I asked the service manager before the install and he told me straight out that he wouldn't (guess I'll have to get it towed somewhere else ;) ).

It really depends on the dealership, and there are 3 ways it can play out:

1 - If business is slow, they can do a blower-induced repair and play it cool because they need the work - unless you broke something really expensive and a GM rep has to come out to approve it, which could spell trouble.

2 - They can charge you only the additional time/labor to remove the equipment you added, and have the warrantee cover the rest.

3 - They can take one look at that blower and say "Sorry, can't do it". And if you want to jump up and down with the Magnusson-Moss warantee act in this case, be prepared for an uphill battle.

4 - Remove your blower etc before taking it in, and play stupid.

Edited by pnblwzd (see edit history)

*I* think it sounds high, but then again I've been accused of "busting balls" on shops' labor quotes. I know I can do the work myself, but sometimes I would rather have someone else do it until I hear the price - then end up doing it myself anyways. Does this price include having them dyno tune it?

I installed my Dynatechs with a mech buddy starting late on a Friday afternoon in about 3 hours, and then we installed the Radix the following Sat from 9-5 - and we had never done one before. We had a lift and air tools, which helped a lot doing the headers from the bottom with the wheels and wheel-wells removed, and took our time and did it right. I've heard reports of 4 hour Radix installs, but this wasn't one of them.

It just comes down to how much is your time worth, and if you want to mess with it.

BTW, what makes you think the dealer will honor your warrantee if you have these guys do the install? The mech friend that helped me with my install WORKS at the dealer, and I know that if I got towed in with a blown motor/trans they wouldn't honor my extended warantee. In fact, I asked the service manager before the install and he told me straight out that he wouldn't (guess I'll have to get it towed somewhere else ;) ).

It really depends on the dealership, and there are 3 ways it can play out:

1 - If business is slow, they can do a blower-induced repair and play it cool because they need the work - unless you broke something really expensive and a GM rep has to come out to approve it, which could spell trouble.

2 - They can charge you only the additional time/labor to remove the equipment you added, and have the warrantee cover the rest.

3 - They can take one look at that blower and say "Sorry, can't do it". And if you want to jump up and down with the Magnusson-Moss warantee act in this case, be prepared for an uphill battle.

4 - Remove your blower etc before taking it in, and play stupid.

Ok, I am fully aware that if I have a motor/tranny issue, the warranty work probably won't be covered. I was more talking about accessory stuff, such as the A/C, heated seats, radio, etc. I mean, the dealer can't possibly refuse warranty work on something totally unrelated to the drivetrain simply because I have a blower installed, right?

Ok, I am fully aware that if I have a motor/tranny issue, the warranty work probably won't be covered. I was more talking about accessory stuff, such as the A/C, heated seats, radio, etc. I mean, the dealer can't possibly refuse warranty work on something totally unrelated to the drivetrain simply because I have a blower installed, right?

I hope not. I agree, and that's why I kept my warrantee intact instead of cashing it out. If the AC goes out, for example, that can get expensive fast.

An interesting fact I learned when I was looking into cashing out my extended GMPP warrantee though (thinking I wouldn't be able to use it, and putting the $ towards the blower); The extended warantee starts when the car is NEW and overlaps the 3/36, it does not wait until the 3/36 warantee expires. SO, say if you decide you don't want to keep your extended warantee before the 3/36 is up, and want to cash it out. You won't get back the entire cost of the warantee, it will be pro-rated from the date you bought the vehicle. Nice, huh? So, it almost doesn't pay to get the extended warantee at the same time you buy the vehicle, as you can add it anytime before the 3/36 expires. The only benefit to getting it when the car is new, is that you can roll it into your financing :rant:

Take a look at this:

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

Interesting.

IMHO, your quote isn't all that bad. Do you have all of the tools/supplies needed for the install (TQ wrenches etc)? If not, you could add the cost of "buying/renting" them into the equation. If the shop stands behind their work, that is a big seller.