Is there a way to check whats wrong?

WI_Dave

Type, as well as what software they purchased is what matters. If they don't have a way to access the brake system, they can't pull codes for it.

They probably have some $99 off the shelf generic OBD2 code reader ... :banghead:

That is exactly what they have. I scanned it anyway and alll unit said was passed. It was for emission codes only according to box. Well I changed the brake light and warning still comes on but it may take a couple drives to reset pcm otherwise I found a small shop with a Tech II but I cant get in till later in the week.

That is exactly what they have. I scanned it anyway and alll unit said was passed. It was for emission codes only according to box. Well I changed the brake light and warning still comes on but it may take a couple drives to reset pcm otherwise I found a small shop with a Tech II but I cant get in till later in the week.

They probably got it from Wal-Mart. I noticed they had one. It you were close I'd have the wife bring home the tek2 or whatever you call it scanner. We've used it before on my friends car.

Their scanner will read all engine, body, and brake codes...and clear them. Also, the issue may have been intermitent and resolved itself, however, the light would remain on. My bet is the brake light being out to be honest with you.

When I first changed bulb the light still came on but now I think it reset. 2 days no warnings. Thanks for the light suggestion Black2003SS :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

When I changed my brakes and wheels I started getting the service brake system alarm. Finally got it regularly enough I took it in to the dealer. They said it was my speed sensors on the transmission. Just as they were about to pull both sensors the regional GM guy walked through service and seeing the mods on my truck told them stop now he changed too much and its out of warranty. My service guy has helped me for years and made sure it only showed up in that dealer's system and not GM's nation wide.

He told me to watch the speedometer for fluctuations and the alarm going off when that happens. Sure enough when I've been on the road a long time, am going up hill, and hit the gas the needle would flutter back & forth about 10 mph and then the alarm would go off.

He said its not a big deal but I could pull the sensors and replace them myself but I've got no clue which one, where it is, etc.