Things to do/Issues

johnny5th

does the rear sway bar just bolt right in? SS Bnoon, do you only have a rear installed? i was looking to improve the handling a little, but i don't want to lower the truck cause of the snow and bad roads up here in anchorage.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 eh? Lightfoot! :crackup: ...
Yeah well the front tires start to slide after that, I blame it all on the McGaughy's spindles, you can't get a very good alignment with them. My next project is swapping them for the DJM Calmax front end.

does the rear sway bar just bolt right in? ...
The rear bar needs 4 7/16" holes drilled into the frame rail so you can mount the sway bar brackets, but is a very simple fabrication job provided you've got a sharp drill bit.

Mr. P. :)

I added the Addco rear swaybar after SSBoon did the FYI that they were only $70- It transformed the truck and the nice thing there was no drilling required. The endlinks attached with a bracket to the frame crossmember then to the axel with Ubolts and a bracket.

I also put in the SSBC brake kit with Stainless Lines and wow its a whole new ride. I want some shocks now and dont know which to go with. Anyone got some advice???

Barney

Well Mr. P my money tree must be sick it doesnt grow like others so I only went with the 12 inch Slotted rotors, Hawk pads and Earl's Lines. I know I know.......I should have upgraded but I just could not swing it!

Still this setup is working very well for me. I only drive the truck 30 miles a week so that factored into my decision.

Barney

Well Mr. P my money tree must be sick it doesnt grow like others so I only went with the 12 inch Slotted rotors, Hawk pads and Earl's Lines. I know I know.......I should have upgraded but I just could not swing it!

Still this setup is working very well for me. I only drive the truck 30 miles a week so that factored into my decision.

Barney

I think you did great - my last vehicle was a '99 Expedition 4x4, and it had iffy brakes too; the only thing I did was change pads (hmmm Bendix "trimetallic" if I recall?) that with a set of Yokohama Geolanders transformed the rig tremendously. The pads are the secret, get correct pads and the 12" rotors will do the job unless you are road racing (frequent use of brakes) then the 12" will start to accumulate excess heat and in that case you must vent them or go with more rotor mass to keep from warping, but for daily driving I say you did good :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

Well it sounds like i bought the right stuff then :jester: *waits patiently for parts*

I've already got new tires on this too. Road Huggers by discount tire. theyre a bit loud, but the tread is really agressive.

is there anything else i can do to help the ride? im takin this baby to virginia in july. thats about 45 hrs on the road there and back, and i wanna get this thing into shape.

is there anything else i can do to help the ride? im takin this baby to virginia in july. thats about 45 hrs on the road there and back, and i wanna get this thing into shape.

:confused: You mean make the ride less harsh? About the only thing I can suggest is to drill the front bumpstops.

Mr. P.

:confused: You mean make the ride less harsh? About the only thing I can suggest is to drill the front bumpstops.

Mr. P.

Haha yeah sort of. basically throughout the life of the truck, the ride has gotten worse. and maybe the shocks will fix that. but i just wondered if theres anything else that is usually changed/modded to fix the wear and tear issue with after market items, such as shocks. I'm all for a stiff ride like im racing the thing, but when it bumps and jarrs around like something is broken, thats not any fun.

Ok, well, i just got a call, and the rear shocks i ordered are backordered from Bilstein in Germany.....

but the front shocks will be here in a few days....

what the crap...

so if that is indeed the case, is it worth sticking on the sway bar by itself? or even the sway bar and the front shocks without the back shocks? or should i wait for all of them to get in?

Ok, well, i just got a call, and the rear shocks i ordered are backordered from Bilstein in Germany.....

but the front shocks will be here in a few days....

what the crap...

so if that is indeed the case, is it worth sticking on the sway bar by itself? or even the sway bar and the front shocks without the back shocks? or should i wait for all of them to get in?

Yes install the Hotkis kit and front shocks asap, most of the truck's weight is on the front axle so you will notice definite improvement.

Mr. P.

• 2 months later...
is there a big difference between the addco and hotchkis rear sway bar, installation wise?

Yes, the Addco bar is a bit easier to install. The Addco bar installs "rearward" of the rear end housing and the Hotchkiss bar installs forward and requires you to drill a couple of holes to install their frame bracket (for the end links to attach to). The Addco attaches to an existing crossbar on the frame (the one the spare tire attaches to) with no drilling. As far as how each one works, I can't comment as I've only had the Addco bar on this truck.