Let's talk fireplaces!

r8rs4lf

Well, I am right in the middle of a 1200 Sq. Ft. addition to our home and I need some suggestions for a fireplace. I'm not talking about a full on fireplace either. I'm talking about one of these wall fireplaces where I don't need to vent or anything. I originally was going with a conventional gas only vented one, but I found out it sticks out way too much past the wall. Something like 30", that's just rediculous IMHO. Not only that, the vent needs to be framed up all the way to my vaulted ceilings. I'm also planning on installing one of those thin, wall mounted TV's above the fireplace once it's done. The gas only, vented one is out, period! Now I'm looking at these fireplaces called "Real Flame" or maybe an electric one. The Real Flame ones are very simple and use this stuff called gel fuel which creates the fire behind some fake logs. These produce little to no heat and are basically just for looks. The electric ones do create heat using a blower, but I don't think the flame looks real enough for me.

Here is a "Real Flame" one.

8400_white.gif

Here is a video of what it looks like.

Click here!

I am adding central heat/air so the heating factor of the fireplace doesn't really matter plus it doesn't get that cold here anyways. The only problem I'm having with these right now is the fact that they are around 42"-46" high. That doesn't seem very high for a mantle. The electric ones come as high as 53" and that is more to my liking.

Let me know what you think or maybe you know of something better.

TIA

I have a flush mounted gas fired fireplace with the however did not finish it off yet. I plan to stone the area around the frame, add a barn beam mantle (have a 200 y/o beam in my shed) and stone the non exsistant flume up the entire side of my 2 story family room. Its just a money issue right now but that is my plans. The fireplace is mostly for decoration. I was going to do a plasma TV over it as well but in my case, it was too modern. I have more of a country colonial so the stone fits better. I am going to be building my deck this year and plan on tapping into my propane tank for my built in gas grill on the deck. Can't wait!

which ever one you decide to go with be sure to make it turn on by a wall switch, then you could wire a remote to the switch and have a remote controlled fire place. :thumbs:

i own a fireplace store, which is where i am as i type this. i strongly advise against any ventless gas fireplace of any type. many units these days can be vented directly out an outside wall, no vertical chimney required. heat capacities can range anywhere from almost nothing to heating your 1200 SF addition. i'm assuming by your location, you're not looking for heat. you can even get a unit with a cabinet mantel so no sheetrock work is required.

if a direct vented unit is out of the question, i'd recommend an electric fireplace. they look alot better than they used to, and the price of the gel cannisters can really add up over time. an electric unit with the heater turned off can operate for 1-2 cents per hour.

let me know if i can answer any other questions for you, or if i can arrange the SSS discount on any of the products i carry. you can visit my website at http://fireplacecreations.net/

thanks,

eric

Edited by Buyfire (see edit history)

i own a fireplace store, which is where i am as i type this. i strongly advise against any ventless gas fireplace of any type. many units these days can be vented directly out an outside wall, no vertical chimney required. heat capacities can range anywhere from almost nothing to heating your 1200 SF addition. i'm assuming by your location, you're not looking for heat. you can even get a unit with a cabinet mantel so no sheetrock work is required.

if a direct vented unit is out of the question, i'd recommend an electric fireplace. they look alot better than they used to, and the price of the gel cannisters can really add up over time. an electric unit with the heater turned off can operate for 1-2 cents per hour.

let me know if i can answer any other questions for you, or if i can arrange the SSS discount on any of the products i carry. you can visit my website at http://fireplacecreations.net/

thanks,

eric

Hey bro, can you email me some pictures or maybe a video of an electric fireplace? [email protected]

We need to talk.

I'd rather give my $$$ to a fellow SSS member.

thanks,

eric

I agree 125%. In my earlier days, I wanted a fireplace too. I installed one of the 'gel fuel' fireplaces. Nothing more than a glorified candle. I don't care what anyone says, they do emit an odor. Maybe not terrible to some, but gave some that visited headaches. When I sold the house, the guy's insurance company made him rip it out too. It's essentially an open flame, with no protection on it.

I installed a 'vent-free' garage heater for a guy in his cabin -- this is a no-no. First of all, there's a slight odor, not horrible. But the heat it put off was so HUMID that it left frost on his windows.

The new electric ones look very realistic, if you purchase a good one. I'm a believer in direct-vent, but if this is not an option, then I would look at electric.