Rotational Grinding noise from the front end

I just got home from School for break and my dad has been using my SS. At low speeds and turning left there is a rotational grinding noise from the front end.

Since I work at a car dealership getting it looked at was no biggy, I took one of the techs out, drove it and showed him the noise. SO I left it at the shop the next day.

I was told that they do not know what is making the noise. My buddy who was a fellow salesman bought an SS (same color and options) a couple days after me and his makes the same noise.

Im thinking it has to do with the AWD and it might be the nature of the beast. Anyone have any clues.

Also I found out that there is a bulletin out for a squeaky shock. I guess some of the shocks where mis-aligned from the factory.

Comments?

Scott

BTW the SS has 6,000 miles on it

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a few other posts in here about the problem...

My 2500 mile truck is making the noise, pretty loud.

I don't know if there is an official fix yet. I believe one of the members had their whole front (and rear?) diff's rebuilt or replaced. There was some mention of a drivetrain fluid flush also helping...

yeah, the guys told me that they were "aware" of the problem and that there wasn't an official fix yet.

I guess it isn't too bad yet, more of an annoyance. But, I am sure that whatever the noise is will be a problem in the future, I don't know how it wouldn't be.

Oh well.

i wasn't trying to be rude. sorry if i came off that way. it's just that i spent like the past 2 weeks searching this whole site to find out as much info as i could so i've been reading A LOT of the same posts and i was tiresome because i was only looking for one thing that i had come across by accident one day and then couldn't find it again. no harm intended man. sorry. post away!! :oops:

I found a red 03 in the showroom of a local dealer but failed to get a test drive because the manager didn't want to have to move the (3) vettes to be able to get the SS out the door :eek: So I almost said, " I guess you don't want to sell that SS today, right? :D It's a beautiful truck but after reading about all the problems you people are having with diff and other strange noises, I'm starting to feel a bit of a chill in my feet :uhoh: . I guess I'll find out when I test drive this Saturday. Lots of slow right and left turns and out to the freeway to see if there are any "bad vibes". Although most of you reported to having some degree of one or both of these problems, I'm really not all that concerned due to fact that there seems to be a sizeable paper trail already. So it sounds like GM will have to address it asap.

Enjoy reading your posts and hope to become more of a contributor in the near future. :P

Jason

Hansville, WA.

Ps. The dealer offered the truck equipped with 6 disc, xm, onstar, HD trailering, dual climate, and chrome wheels for $38,153 - $3,500 rebate for a total of $34,653. If the test drive goes well, I was thinking of offering $32k. Am I in the ball park?

if they offered you 34 then they are pretty close. if you offer 32 and they accept...congratulations. someone posted that someone found one for 28 in louisiana but everyone seemed to agree that was too low. invoice is around 34 and that's what i paid for none of the options. good luck, keep us posted!!

i wasn't trying to be rude. sorry if i came off that way. it's just that i spent like the past 2 weeks searching this whole site to find out as much info as i could so i've been reading A LOT of the same posts and i was tiresome because i was only looking for one thing that i had come across by accident one day and then couldn't find it again. no harm intended man. sorry. post away!! :oops:

We're cool. I was in a frustrated mood. So I take that back.

Just got my truck back from the service department today. They tell me that the noise is normal. do you know how they came up with that? They took out a new SS and it made the same noise so they said it must be normal. To me the noise is unacceptable so I called GM. After talking to the nice lady she told me that the dealer would be calling me. Sure enough five minutes later the dealer called. The stated that they were going to look into the matter furter and call me back. I am not sure what is going to happen, I just want my truck fixed!

well then by god, please let us know what they come up with, because after reading the NUMEROUS posts, there was no consistent answer and i sure would like to know too. mine does it as well, and i've just accepted it as normal, but if gm and the dealership find out something new i want it done too. thanks!!!!

:cheers:

Mine makes the same noise and we flushed the t-case and front dif but the

noise is still there. We also have a blue on someone is driving for a demo

and it makes the same noise . I understand there is alot of stuff working

under there but have trouble believing it is normal. I am waiting for our rep.

to come in amd i will ask him about it.

:cheers:

I have the same noise and has only come on in the last 1000 miles. Have just over 9k on the ss now. I took it in last week to change the oil and they had not heard of any other ss trucks with

the same problem. I am going to drop it off to have it looked at tomorrow. My issue is I need to have it fixed so I can super charge! I do not want GM to blame the charger

for the problem and not take care of it in the future.

Archived