Need Opinion

cwest94

I have very little experience with Toys, but my neighbor has a 2003 4Runner with 40K-miles she let me drive a few hours and I wasn't impressed with it. It runs like Poo (with a capital P), the SES light is lit and the only thing the truck has been used for is around-town driving, it's had an easy life and has some engine fault already. So much for legendary Toyota reliabilty, the engine in my SSS has 48K-miles and runs awesome. Also on her 4Runner the climate control temp motor/module went out at 35K-miles, and even the factory GM Bose jambox in our trucks sounds better than the Toy sound system... On the upside, Toys do have higher market resale value...

I don't think you are going to be able to pick a vehicle specifically by brand/make, you're going to have to shop across the board because I'm sure there are good/bad vehicles in every make (4Runner/H3/TB).

Mr. P.

You want a daily driver that is an SUV and gets good fuel mileage, you will probably have to go smaller, like a Chevy Equinox or GMC Acadia etc. The Jeep is gonna suck on gas as the Toyota will probably too. Broaden your horizons and look across the board at all makes, including cars as well.

Good Luck :driving:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

My mother-in-law has an H3, and she loves it. BUT, (big but :D) she does not use it for it's intended purpose. She does not go off road, tow, or haul much in it. She's an elementary school principal, so at most some files of paper is what's in it. It's a little weak on power for me, but I've always driven pretty hot cars. I think they should have put the 4.2 I6 in it. She bought it because she likes the Hummer, but didn't want/need the big one. If you're just going to drive it, it should do fine. If you're going to work it any, I'de look for more power. Just my .02.

I was just curious to know what some of your thoughs are with the cars I'm looking at getting as a daily driver. I was thinking maybe either someone here might have one, or knows someone who does and could pass on their thoughts of it.

I am currently looking at the Toyota 4Runner and the Hummer H3, I am also looking at the Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy too. Now keep in mind, I'm a young, single guy and like to have something thats sporty looking and I like sitting up higher. I currently have a Chevy Blazer ZR2 and I like it and love the ground clearance, but its just to small for me anymore.

So I like how the H3 and the 4Runner have a nice ground clearance, and both are sporty looking with just the right amount of space inside. I also like the TrailBlazer/Envoy but cant stand the lower ground clearance and when sitting in it, it feels like something a soccor mom would drive and not some young guy.

So as of now the 4Runner is winning with the size and practical use it has and I was just curious to know what anyone thinks of any of the cars I've mentioned and has any feed back on them with thoughs and so forth.

Thanks for any info you guys/gals can give me. :cheers:

just fyi...my dad works as a service advisor at a chevy dealer and says the #1 car w/ the most problems is the chevy colorado with the trailblazer coming in a close 2nd. he says they have all sorts of random problems that people bring them in for.

I would actually suggest the AWD Chevy Equinox. I was absolutly bowled over by the room inside, the nice ride and just the all around asthetics of it...It does seem to be a bit economical on how it is built but all in all, I really liked it. Although, it may be a bit close to the ground for you also.

Edited by 56chevywagon (see edit history)

i believe the h3 was geared more toward the female truck market,either way i think it looks gayyyy.

I am a female, and I would never own a H3 or a 4 Runner. I think that the 4 Runner is quite boring and the H3 is just eh. Hence why I own a TBSS. ;)

cwest94 - if you want something with show and go...stick with the SSS or TBSS, but if you want longevity then maybe a Jap car would suit you. However, you never know when you could get a lemon...

I can't really comment on the GM vehicles that you mentioned since I haven't driven them, but while I worked at Toyota several years ago I really liked the 4runners. I haven't driven any of the new ones but they seem nice. The only downside that I saw to them was the price, but if your going used, it shouldn't be to bad. Just don't settle... get the one that you like the best since you'll be driving it all the time.

Actually as gay as it may sound...Check out the Mazda Tribute/ merc. Mariner/ford escape... I think they all look good, My mom had a very nice Mazda Tribute...... No problems AT ALL....98k, only thing it has needed was brakes....... It has a strong (for the chassis) duratec v6 (made by ford). Nice interior space and pretty nimble.

I still like Impalas and Monte Carlos. Good on gas, cheap to fix, maybe a little boring but still pretty good cars for not much money.
Good point. If you do an older, like 03-04, SS they look pretty sporty. The 3.8 V6 has proven to be a great engine.

I've driven an older 4Runner, and I wasn't really impressed. It ran well, but the seats felt like you were sitting on the floor. Hard to explain, but I just didn't find it very comfortable.

Well I dont want a car, I cant stand sitting low to the ground, guess I got use to sitting up higher the past 12yrs I've been driving a SUV/truck. I have looked at the Masda Tribute and really like them, they are just a tad bit to small for me right now, but they are good on gas miles, I know someone who has one and things its the best car ever made.

I am looking for used 03 through 06 SUV's with lower miles, at least the lowest I can find. So far after all I have read up about, the 4Rummer seems to be the better choice for me. The 4Runner is the size I'm looking for and I really like the looks and style of it, and the resale value is the best, not that I would be selling it anytime soon. This is going to be my daily driver, so I dont want a TBSS or anything like that, thats what my Silverado SS is for. :)

The black one I showed you guys I really like a lot, the only problem I can not get over is how many stone chips are in the front bumper, its covered from one side to the other. So I'm trying to see if I can find another one close to that black one or I may use the stone chips as a way to bring down the price of it. But I'm not going to jump into anything this second, I need to be 100% sure this is what I want before I put out the money.

Each time I go to buy a new car, sometimes it takes me a few months to know I"m 100% sure this is the car that I want. So far I've been looking for almost 2 months and so far the 4Runner is still in the lead. :)