broken valve spring

i just broke my second valve spring in 2 months . they are comp dual springs and i was told they are good for 700hp or more and i dont make that much so what could cause the failure ? it was the outter spring both times different cylinders . maybe a bad batch of springs not sure what could cause a spring to break

Other culprits:

• installed height too low or outright coil bind
  • over-revving (spring material overheats)
  • valve-float issue (very rare this breaks a spring but...)
  • letting sit un-used in an engine for many years (they "take a set")
  • severe engine over-heating
  • material deficiency/failure

With what you're doing I'd agree it's a bad batch, either bad metalurgy or bad temper.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

I was told on mine to let the engine warm up good before driving. Stiff springs are more brittle than stockers and if revved cold, can break. I was also told not to rev it much the first drive, let them heat up and cool back down.

i always let it warm up . i got the spring fixed it was on the other head so i think i got a bad batch of springs . so i made an appoinment to get them all replaced . i think i will be splitting the cost with the shop cause they shouldnt break but then agsin there is no warrenty on stuff like that