HELP

abew330

I would rule out the Coil/wire... Ls engine will start with a bad coil, but then throw a random misfire/ cyl misfire code. Hell, It will run with whole side unplugged on an F body.

The pump should only cycle for a few seconds, then shut off after rail has pressure.

In some ls engines the coil fires the injector... Hook a noid light up to each one, and check for pulse.

Edited by H8R (see edit history)

There might be two fuel pumps, one in the tank, and one outside of the tank (on the line). Also, check to see about in in-line fuel filter, see if it's clogged. Might want to make sure you have good fuel. I've lost a coil on a V6 3.8 engine before, and it started and ran, rough starting, and sounded sick, but would run. This is easy, go through your entire engine bay, looking at all of the wires, full length, to make sure none has been cut, torn, or tattered. Also, check all connections to make sure they are secure. Check all fuses as well.

Didn't swap out the factory radio recently?

i wanna think its the coil but i know its not.... if there is or isnt spark the damn pump doesnt stay on..

actually yeah.. i got a aftermarket stereo in it.. but thats a hole other thing right???? i mean its got its on fuse and stuff.. and the only prob i heard with changing the stereo is that the airbags wont work... not the pump

i mean you can only hear the pump turn on for one second then back off.. my other silverado i can hear the pump without getting next to the truck

If you have no CEL light then it is most likely fuel related IMO. FPR, pump, filter. I am curious to see if you have pressure. Do you know where your shrader valve is on the fuel line. When you turn you key on, have your buddy push the shrader valve in and see if fuel spits out. If not, you have no fuel pressure. The 03's have a return system and the pressure bleeds out after the fuel pump primes the line. Happens in about 3 seconds after you key on so you will need a buddy to help ya on this one.

I am leaning toward fueling issues because you stated you used starting fluid and it rolled over.

If you are in "reduced engine power" mode check your TB connections. If moisture is in there, you will be in limp mode. Happens everytime I wash my engine bay.

Oh, you have a 2WD 03 SSS? They didn't exsist...

yeah, theres no check light.. it has to be fuel related.. maybe electricl... the shrader valve??

"reduced engine power" mode????? i havent washed my engine yet... i've wiped it down...

just check the connectors for the TB? i cleaned out the TB for the hell of it...

actually guys i have to be honest here.... my trucks are only silverados not SS... i wish!!!!!

i will have one...... one day

i dont know where else to go for help.. i would think fellow silverados people on here will help me out.. i actuall got 01 03 silverados.. 4.8L 1500 2WD EXT. cab both under 100 K miles

sorry guys for saying i got a SS

I would rule out the Coil/wire... Ls engine will start with a bad coil, but then throw a random misfire/ cyl misfire code. Hell, It will run with whole side unplugged on an F body.

The pump should only cycle for a few seconds, then shut off after rail has pressure.

In some ls engines the coil fires the injector... Hook a noid light up to each one, and check for pulse.

hook up a test light to each spark plug wire?

un-plug from spark plug and put in the test light in the wire? then crack / try to start?

for each wire?

what if i get a mutl-meter thing and hook that up for readings voltage or something?

the 03 silverados pump stays on for maybe 10 second or more....

the 01 silverado just turns on for one second then back off.. and to that i have to play with the keys turn on and off 3-5 times before i hear anything from the pump to turn on..

thats what i was thinking a coil prob but then the check light would come up...

it has to be electrical or fuel related stopping the truck from starting

i wanna think its the coil but i know its not.... if there is or isnt spark the damn pump doesnt stay on..

actually yeah.. i got a aftermarket stereo in it.. but thats a hole other thing right???? i mean its got its on fuse and stuff.. and the only prob i heard with changing the stereo is that the airbags wont work... not the pump

i mean you can only hear the pump turn on for one second then back off.. my other silverado i can hear the pump without getting next to the truck

yeah, theres no check light.. it has to be fuel related.. maybe electricl... the shrader valve??

"reduced engine power" mode????? i havent washed my engine yet... i've wiped it down...

just check the connectors for the TB? i cleaned out the TB for the hell of it...

actually guys i have to be honest here.... my trucks are only silverados not SS... i wish!!!!!

i will have one...... one day

i dont know where else to go for help.. i would think fellow silverados people on here will help me out.. i actuall got 01 03 silverados.. 4.8L 1500 2WD EXT. cab both under 100 K miles

sorry guys for saying i got a SS

hook up a test light to each spark plug wire?

un-plug from spark plug and put in the test light in the wire? then crack / try to start?

for each wire?

what if i get a mutl-meter thing and hook that up for readings voltage or something?

the 03 silverados pump stays on for maybe 10 second or more....

the 01 silverado just turns on for one second then back off.. and to that i have to play with the keys turn on and off 3-5 times before i hear anything from the pump to turn on..

thats what i was thinking a coil prob but then the check light would come up...

it has to be electrical or fuel related stopping the truck from starting

the noid light taps into the injectors, not the plug wires. Adavance Auto has them..Like 15$