HID'S burned out

Jond983

i have a set of phillips mccolluch 4300k hid's and the left bulb burned out, it flickered one night when i turned off the truck, then it stopped i thought nothin of it and i know they're supposed to outlast a normal halogen bulb, they've been in there for almost a yr... i dunno what the problem is, what u guyz think?

Edited by Jond983 (see edit history)

its not the bulb...its the ballast. McCulloch is not known for the longevity. However you have a warranty. So email the guy you bought it from. It happened to me once, the ballast was near my intake and it got VERY hot that day. Sucks cause I was in tampa...

But anyways just email your guy

I had a bulb go out just after about 2 months or so. I tested it by hooking up the bulb to the other ballast to see if it worked. Either way, if you have had it less than a year, contact the person you got it from to get it replaced.

Kinda off the topic here, but with HID's, do you need to shut down the headlight confirmation flash so the lights don't do a quick flash when you lock your doors or set the alarm....?? Will this cause them to burn out quicker or cause damage to them??

Sorry to hijack....but maybe this is something that is causing quick failure in the HID's :dunno:

Kinda off the topic here, but with HID's, do you need to shut down the headlight confirmation flash so the lights don't do a quick flash when you lock your doors or set the alarm....?? Will this cause them to burn out quicker or cause damage to them??

Sorry to hijack....but maybe this is something that is causing quick failure in the HID's :dunno:

Not sure how your truck is setup, but only my parking lights flash when I lock and unlock the truck. So this shouldn't have anything to do with the HID's doing out.

:dunno:

That is something I am curious to know as well. :dunno:

Not sure how your truck is setup, but only my parking lights flash when I lock and unlock the truck. So this shouldn't have anything to do with the HID's doing out.
:withstupid: Yes, only the parklamps flash. Also, if you have the perimiter lighting feature on, it used the DRLs and backup lamps. So, it shouldn't be a problem.

I can't remember for sure but I think my headlights flash since I don't have the stock security setup. I have a clifford alarm. Would this be a problem?

I have a Astrostart system on mine...The headlights flash twice pretty quickly for confirmation on setting the alarm or unlocking...

I can't remember for sure but I think my headlights flash since I don't have the stock security setup. I have a clifford alarm. Would this be a problem?

That could cause the HID system to go out faster than it should. I doubt that it's designed for that sort of thing. I would see if the alarm could be hooked up the parking lights and not the headlamps if your thinking about going HID.

Sounds good...I thought there was a option in the DIC on the truck, but maybe im wrong...Thought there was one for flash parking lights or headlights or both...I'll have to check, otherwise I'll need the Astrostart checked....Thanks, Jason