Laid Down The Law To A Duramax

PatrickSilverado

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stock + shityy fuel filter = black smoke all the smoke is is unburnt fuel.... and there is no way any stock tranny holds up unless the person driving has a mean set of beef curtains or is 85 years of age or older
Since the Allison was used in GM light trucks, starting in 2001, I have seen 1 outright failure. Allison called it back for a complete inspection, and this was back in late 2001. Not saying that they WON'T/DON'T fail, but not very often. They were designed to tow heavy loads behind high torque engines.

What body style is your truck? regular cab? Because if it's an LBZ d-max that isn't lifted and you beat him, there's no way you did it in a crew cab lol. I raced a friend of mines LBZ and he's lifted with 22s and i think 37s, and he beat me with his chip on extreme. He has an intake and 5" exhaust also. On stock tune we were damn close. At the time all I had was an intake on my 07 classic v-max.

On another note, I raced him again with a 100 shot and no other mods and KILLED him by about 4-5 lengths

What body style is your truck? regular cab? Because if it's an LBZ d-max that isn't lifted and you beat him, there's no way you did it in a crew cab lol. I raced a friend of mines LBZ and he's lifted with 22s and i think 37s, and he beat me with his chip on extreme. He has an intake and 5" exhaust also. On stock tune we were damn close. At the time all I had was an intake on my 07 classic v-max.

On another note, I raced him again with a 100 shot and no other mods and KILLED him by about 4-5 lengths

I have and extended cab and yeah his has no lift and its a LLY with 33's on stock wheels. but like i said i think he was messin with me i think he had me. Oh and hows that 100 shot workin for you, im thinkin about get some spray lol

Yeah the LLY isn't as bad ass as the lbz, but they still run good. Raced another buddy with a lly d-max and he's dropped on 22s, same wheels as the lifted lbz, just this truck is lowered, and he also has a chip, intake, and exhaust and he only pulls to my front bumper, and that's only out of the hole, from a roll we're even. This was also with just the intake, I've yet to race either one now that i have a programmer and exhaust.

The 100 shot actually worked really well on the truck. Like I said I ran it with only the intake on, but WOW it was stupid fast. BUT I wouldn't recommend it if you drive the truck a lot, we only had it on for a weekend, mostly to race that one truck, but I ran unleaded race gas in the truck, and we probably could've ran 150 shot, but I would've had to change plugs, plus I don't know how well the tranny would've held up. It was slipping sooooooooo bad going into 2nd, but I'm thinking it was most likely the torque management??

From what i've read, these 6.0 motors are pretty bullet proof if you don't get stupid with them.

Lol yeah i don't plan on tellin her i put those on here that one was for you guys lol. thats awesome some ppl here have been to g-ville. anyone else ever been in town before? yeah i thought about the black smoke giving away he might have a chip too

I have a buddy that lives in Ocala & we go to Gatornationals every year. We just went in March ... good times.

I think I might have seen your truck there. Did you go?

Edited by perk03z06 (see edit history)

:withstupid: they might smoke a little, but not the freaking smoke screen they pour out when chipped. and wouldn't a shitty fuel filter make it run lean? hence no smoke.... or would the computer be trying to make up for it? oh well...

Cool, yeah i want more speed for not alot of money but like you siad nitrous doesn't have very good reliability. So i dunno what i might do?

Nah not this year i usually try to go but didn't find time too. I do go about every wendseday night to gainesville speedway where the gator nationals are held. But its just like a test and tune night i've yet to run my truck im anxious to see what i'll run, im guessing high 15's.

:withstupid:

haha :withstupid:

actually because its black smoke means it probably WAS stock, with diesels, they come from the factory with a very rich fuel mixture so they usually do spew black smoke when they are factory or close to it. its when you add the banks kit like the six gun tuner or other related products that it re tunes and starts to equal out and then they DONT really let out black smoke. diesels that are tuned specifically for racing is a whole other story, so your buddy was probably telling the truth.

Thats actually the other way around i work for a dealership and they dont blow black unless they have bee tunned or there is something wrong with the emmissons control

Yes finally a first hand account, in a truck i know is stock, one of the guys that used to go to my school just got a LMM '08 silverado. By the way it was fast. But dead stock it did spue the slightest amount of smoke not enought to choke some one, but it looked more like a fume than smoke.

Sort of ran a Duramax today...I got behind him after leaving work and followed a bit and I could tell he was looking for me because his two friends kept looking back. We got to a light and I figured he would go..I hit it hard on green and he didnt move so I let off and then he floors it and gets about a half a truck on me before I start pulling him in a bit...then he starts pulling thru the end of 2nd and into 3rd....I shut down around 80mph and I was at his back bumper. If we both went at the same time and I ran the rpms up a bit from go I think I might have taken him. It was HD2500 4 door..he said he had a chip...not sure what else he had, it looked like stock exhaust. We were talking while going down the road :banghead: I told him nice run and I wanted a rematch sometime..he smiled and said sure

• 1 month later...

I thought this might be an appropriate thread for me to chime in since I race an '06 LBZ Duramax, and tune SS trucks for my customers.

Smoke - the older trucks smoke just a little stock, the new ones do not unless there is a clogged air filter of a fuel problem. Exhaust and EGR mods can contribute to smoke under load as well as an agressive tune, but with a big tune he would have left you bad. Light grey smoke is unburnt fuel, black smoke is running rich

Allison - it's an extremely strong tranny. Not really designed for racing, it defuels on shifts and takes 3 secods to downshift, also goes through gears very fast and bulky heavy rotating parts suck up a lot of power. They still make over 300 to the wheels stock, which suggests they were underrated (typical GM)

Tap shifter doesn't actually shift gears, only limits top gear. 6 speed much stronger than 5 speed, very hard to even limp (unlike 5 speed)

Stock times - I notice the consensus is high 14s for the SS trucks. I went very low 15s bone stock before breaking in, with a 2500HD 4x4 LT2 extended cab. Duramax can go high 14s stock if small enough.

Since you're in Gainsville, maybe we can have a friendly run one day (I'm down south though).

I love the SS trucks and it would be a privilege to have one in one of my videos, regardless of the outcome.

They are gorgeous, and mean, a true performance truck unlike the Duramax that is a work truck and just happens to become ungodly stupid fast with the right modifications.

Edited by Boost (see edit history)