Gutting your cats can be dangerous work!

I took a couple of pics after I sliced open my driver's side cat today. I know some of you have gutted them using only a ram of some type to break apart the ceramic block, but you NEED to open them up to get some other materials out or there could be enough "junk" left in there to clog your exhaust!!!

Look at the ceramic "blanket" (to the upper left of the large chunk of ceramic) that seals the block to the piping around it. A ton of this stuff was loose when I was trying to just ram it out with a piece of 3/8" metal rod. I decided to cut it open and this is what I found... There was no way in hell that I could have gotten all of that blanket out of the exhaust pipe!!!

post-7241-1177528026_thumb.jpg

Some of the blanket actually needed to be scraped off of the metal wall. No way I could have known this without opening it up to see everything! If you gutted them with just a metal stick through the exhaust pipe, it's time to open things up!!! I closed my cuts back up with my mig, I'll get pics of that tomorrow or Friday after I gut the passenger side one.

post-7241-1177528019_thumb.jpg

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

I think you just voided your warranty... :crackup:

:withstupid::lol: bigtime :crackup:

Nope, the warranty was voided by the mileage over a year ago. They wouldn't be able to tell anyway as the welds are ground flush and sanded to appear stock (should emissions ever become an issue). :thumbs:

the one good thing about the mettalic cats is when they are gutted the shit all comes in out in one piece. or a couple pieces since its metal. but it did all come out and looks as if there were never anything in there.

Save those Metal chunks and try to sell them to a metal salvage yard. Its mostly Platnium!!!!! You dont have much but the price is over $600 an Ounce if you find the right place.

Good luck

we get $95.00 per cat that we sell to a recycler for 99-06 gm trucks. some of the imports were getting $165-175 each... :ughdance: so all who think cats are worthless and serve no purpose, then send them to me :thumbs: why do you think ALL the exhaust shops all willing to DISPOSE of your good cats your having them cut off... $ $ $

:seeya:

we get $95.00 per cat that we sell to a recycler for 99-06 gm trucks. some of the imports were getting $165-175 each... :ughdance: so all who think cats are worthless and serve no purpose, then send them to me :thumbs: why do you think ALL the exhaust shops all willing to DISPOSE of your good cats your having them cut off... $ $ $

If someone made an open shell replacement, you could have had my cats... Hum... sounds like a good Ebay product to me since they got rid of the "test pipe" products a while back.

We've had a rash of stolen converters here. They slide up under your vehicle with a cordless sawzall and cut them off. A lot of imports and trucks. They've been hitting employee parking lots and mall lots :nono:

We've had a rash of stolen converters here. They slide up under your vehicle with a cordless sawzall and cut them off. A lot of imports and trucks. They've been hitting employee parking lots and mall lots :nono:

Damn I've heard it all now. :nonod: