Toy Shop: Shift Kit + GM Fix

Called Kendall at The Toy Shop transmissions in Pomona, CA this morning just to BS some, get his thoughts on my transmission and motor work and pick his brain some in general. Great guy to talk to, very knowledgable. He asked, "Can you come in today? I have an open lift." Well, what can I say? So, off to Pomona I went.

After talking with him some more at the shop, he talks me down off the TBTC ledge, says its not needed. Servos we may come back to, but, for now, we left them stock; he did think the trans could use a shift kit and some other mods. I give the green light, then off he goes to work.

About 15 minutes in, he asks me how the truck has been shifting 1-2... Pretty firm, but it's a new truck, right?...

Wrong. GM "forgot" the 2nd gear accum spring. :banghead: Wonderful. Good thing I have 900 miles on her total, or this might have been a bad thing soon... Another great, ahem, excuse (justification?) for you married guys: "See? His BRAND NEW trans had a problem, and the only way he found it was to pre-empt the problem with a shift kit!" :cheers:

So, another hour later and the work's done. After talking to a GM tech, he decided to play it safe and stay with Dex-6, so for another $50 I was graced by (more) GM Dex-6 wonderfulness. :dupe:

Anyway, the post-kit trans shifts without lag all though 4 now, and none too harsh- just right for a daily driver. Following He and Mike's advice, I will not be doing anything else (maybe servos if I want it somewhat tighter) unless I drop a cam in, at which point I'll consider the TBTC and a larger cooler. These guys were top-flight, considerate, honest and reasonably priced- they billed me $350 for the work and $50 for the GM liquid gold (6 quarts). If anyone needs good GM trans work in Southern California, look no further than the Toy Shop in Pomona. I know this probably should be in the Vendor section, but I figured you would all like to see what kind of fun things are coming from GM new...

post-11012-1177974236_thumb.jpg

post-11012-1177974241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wildhawker (see edit history)

I can vouch for Toy Shop also... Kendall and Mike are top notch guys and hooked me up when my trucks tranny was falling apart quicker than Don Imus' career.

I have put over 10K miles on my new tranny from them (8k of those Radix miles) and its just as good as when I got it back from them!

:thumbs:

yep, kendall just hooked me up about 3 weeks ago and i vouch for everything - good people, great work, and awesome shifting now... i did the servos and it is well worth it, but i also have a SC.

but steer clear of the burger joint down on the corner!! the golden ox i believe it is called... LOL

TOY SHOP :thumbs:

yep, kendall just hooked me up about 3 weeks ago and i vouch for everything - good people, great work, and awesome shifting now... i did the servos and it is well worth it, but i also have a SC.

but steer clear of the burger joint down on the corner!! the golden ox i believe it is called... LOL

I had a job yard over by Ganesha High off Fairplex/10 for our Route 57 project 2003-2005 (spooky at night)... I learned to go outside of Pomona for food... ;)

I might still install the servos, but I'll feel it out some after the dyno run this week.

Edited by Wildhawker (see edit history)

I would steer clear of that entire city IMO... the only thing that makes that place worth a damn is the Toy Shop.

kendall is a cool guy. they will have my truck again as soon as i get it rolling. if this trans fails another rebuild will be underway.

I'll have to check out your truck one of these days- is there a local SS/VMax club?

i'll probably head down there before i have my heads and cam installed. heard lots of good things about them and i don't think i can trust the shops here in vegas to do the job right and for a fair price.

i'll probably head down there before i have my heads and cam installed. heard lots of good things about them and i don't think i can trust the shops here in vegas to do the job right and for a fair price.

you wouldnt trust frank to do the install? :confused:

hey chase... we should all meet down there and go for a run up the coast... wody, let me know when you are coming down... we can all plan something during a weekend...

i was trying to plan something of this sort recently but no one had time or is too lazy...

I have a huge parking lot at my office that i share with no one- about 100 parking spots... plus a lot of room in the area to lay some rubber down.

i can get at least 5 or 6 guys...

you wouldnt trust frank to do the install? :confused:

frank doesn't do trans shit. he said he knows a guy out here but he hasn't come up with the contact info, and i know he is really busy with other things right now so i don't want to bug him and put more stress on him. he is going to do my head and cam swap for me though.

Edited by wody (see edit history)

hey chase... we should all meet down there and go for a run up the coast... wody, let me know when you are coming down... we can all plan something during a weekend...

i was trying to plan something of this sort recently but no one had time or is too lazy...

I have a huge parking lot at my office that i share with no one- about 100 parking spots... plus a lot of room in the area to lay some rubber down.

i can get at least 5 or 6 guys...

i'll let you know, it may be a little while. but well see. i'll have to call kendall and get a quote and go from there.

frank doesn't do trans shit. he said he knows a guy out here but he hasn't come up with the contact info, and i know he is really busy with other things right now so i don't want to bug him and put more stress on him. he is going to do my head and cam swap for me though.

i see where i got confused now. heck im considering driving to vegas just to have frank do my cam and head swap when the time comes. synergy motorsports gets a lot of press around here but i was very unimpressed talking with them. 5500 for a head and cam swap with afr 205 heads? no thanks.