Metallic flakes on drain plug

Jonmalibuss

I have read so many threads from many members about metallic flakes on the drain plug and it was guessed that it was just from break in. LOL I now know thats not the case and I am sorry to say but GM doesn't have as clean of a plant as you would hope for engine building. we just took apart a D-max that we got on a palet of 2 which is a brand new engine and they are built and run for a few minutes then checked for leaks before they are put in a truck. It came to us with oil in it and it was still clean like it was just put in the engine but on further inspection since we completely disassembled this engine we found a lot of metalic particles inside which had already worn marks into the crank/bearings. Just think this thing only ran for a few minutes. I am going to cut the filter open tomarrow and see whats in there. This is the reason you find metal flakes on your drain plug and the reason manufatures only offer a 3 year warranty because i'm sure much longer than that and the bearings/crank will have so much clearance your rods will start making noise under start up.

The d-max plant is in the usa and they are made here for the HD trucks and thats it. we also found a bearing that had a clerance that was too tight and started to move the babet on the bearing and it didn't look as if it was gonna last long at all. Just keep in mind this plant is run by GM because it is Isuzu and GM owns Isuzu just think GM can't spend a whole lot of time cleaning their engines to make them last longer. IMO if you found a collector car like lets say you got a new Camaro SS and you wanted to drive it but have it last for a very long time. I would say find one with nearly 0 miles pull have it trailered to your house from the dealer and pull then engine completely apart and lable everything to put everything back where it goes exactly then clean everything with extreme detail and reassemble it I will gaurante you wil avoid many future warranty issues with the engine or failures after warranty is over. This actually scared me when I saw this!

This is the reason you find metal flakes on your drain plug and the reason manufatures only offer a 3 year warranty because i'm sure much longer than that and the bearings/crank will have so much clearance your rods will start making noise under start up.

I have 119,000 miles on my LS1 in my 98 Z28 with no problems. Of course now that I made this post it will fall apart.