got my gears done

same thing kyle. for me i chose a tight converter to not sacrifice daily driveability. if id gone with a looser converter then the gears arent as much a necessity. thus the gears just make you get through the powerband that much faster. the locker is just insurance really. from what ive read the 14 bolt is plenty strong enough but with a locker its all power all the time to both wheels. only drawback is you can sort of hear it when your turning as one wheel is turning faster than another.

you mean you have a spool? your locker is always engaged?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what truck can i get that from?? do you have a year and model. and what about a locker?? i actually think my rear is goign to go soon becuase when i put it in gear and give some gas it like "slams" and moves/?? hard to explain. wouldi get more traction with this??

Yes you will get far better traction, like night & day kind of comparision. Personally, I don't go for lockers, I'm more a limited-slip guy but to each their own. I recommend good used factory parts in your case because (1) you're not trying to put an extreme amount of power to the ground and the factory G80 is good to 380 lb-ft, (2) it'll only set you back a couple hundred bucks + install labor, a new aftermarket locker or LSD unit will cost $450-650 and unless you plan to keep the truck very long term and will be putting a lotta motor under the hood I would spend the money elsewhere.

AFA interchange I don't know, I'm not up to speed on exactly what axle configurations GM has made in all the trucks in the last 5+ years. You can use this web page to read the RPO build code in the glovebox as well as look over the gasket pictures to identify exactly what rear end they put in the truck. Once you know that you can begin scrounging. I think you probably have the GM 8.5" rear but that's a guess.

What I would do is start asking around the rear end shops, maybe they can hook you up with a low-mileage diff traded in from one of their customers. You might also score a good set of used gears too.

The jerking you describe - I don't know, that sounds weird for sure. But usually broken rear ends will make vibrations or noise as they operate, if it's still silent back there it's probably not the rear end that has the problem...

Mr. P.

already in the works. im gonna see how ssbnoons and wodys turn out then if everything works out it will be a go. not satisfied with my choices currently for the install so im still strongly considering driving out to vegas to have frank do it.

Good to see you got them done. I should have pic's of Frank's L92 setup this weekend.

you mean you have a spool? your locker is always engaged?

no its different than a spool. there is still some give in a locker when turning. if you had a full spool turning would be a challenge to say the least.

Edited by rivierakid (see edit history)

Good to see you got them done. I should have pic's of Frank's L92 setup this weekend.

great im really looking forward to this as my next serious mod. zippy do you recommend the standard brake in period with the new gears. i.e. not over 55mph and no longer than 15 mile periods without cooling?

so is it always locked (both wheels spining all the time)?

A locker ratchets around the corners, but locks solid under power. I think they are supposed to lock when there is a 100 RPM difference between axles.

After they open around a corner, they clunk when you give it the gas once you are going straight. This is their only real drawback.

A spool is a solid piece of metal. Both wheels are locked together all the time. They are not for street use...only straight line drag racing.

A locker is supposed to be stronger than a posi or limited slip, but they are noisy. Posi and limited slip have clutch discs that wear over time where a locker does not. Also, no special additives are required in the diff lube for a locker, but it is required for posi and limited slip.

Hope this clarifies.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

what truck can i get that from??

If you can find a whole rear end out of a SS truck that will work. That's what I'm running now. I bought the rear end out of a wrecked truck and sold my stock 3.73 rear end for the same amount of money. So the mod only cost me my time to pull the rear ends out of the trucks and no real money out of my pocket.

Rivierakid: The 4.10's made a HUGE difference over the 3.73's. I can't even imagine what it would be like with 4.56's :crazy: I'm surpirsed you only picked up 300rpm's. I picked that much up switching to the 4.10's... You need to head up this way and bring your truck to the track to lay some times down.

so is it always locked (both wheels spining all the time)?

A true locker as in the case of a Detroit Locker, the differential is always locked, excpet when you're turning and not applying much power to the differential. That is about the only time it will unlock.

As for gear break in, I do recomend taking it easy on new aftermarket gears for about 100 miles. After that, drive it as hard as you'd like.

If you can find a whole rear end out of a SS truck that will work. That's what I'm running now. I bought the rear end out of a wrecked truck and sold my stock 3.73 rear end for the same amount of money. So the mod only cost me my time to pull the rear ends out of the trucks and no real money out of my pocket.

Rivierakid: The 4.10's made a HUGE difference over the 3.73's. I can't even imagine what it would be like with 4.56's :crazy: I'm surpirsed you only picked up 300rpm's. I picked that much up switching to the 4.10's... You need to head up this way and bring your truck to the track to lay some times down.

well this was guessing. i wont take it on the freeway for a little while so wont know for sure. ill let you know when im heading up to sacto. hoping i have to buy a helmet if you know what i mean.

so what diff do us 2wd guys have? ive heard so many answers its rediculous.... but it looks like a LSD to me

i believe that is correct. i didnt even bother to ask my rearend guy but im sure it wasnt open or posi from factory.

what truck can i get that from?? do you have a year and model. and what about a locker?? i actually think my rear is goign to go soon becuase when i put it in gear and give some gas it like "slams" and moves/?? hard to explain. wouldi get more traction with this??
Find a rear out of a truck that has option code G80, and GT4 (3.73) or GT5 (4.10). The option codes are on a sticker in the glove box, and are listed in alpha numeric order from left to right. Post or PM me your vin and I can tell you what you have in your truck.