Fuel Economy While Towing

perk03z06

Guys ... I'm trying to plan a trip of ~ 1400 miles (with mountain highways), and I need to haul a single-axle trailer w/ no air dam in the front (it's flat) ... but I only need to haul the trailer one-way.

What I'm trying to determine is would I be better off using my friend's trailer, that I'd have to haul round-trip, or would it be better to rent something from UHaul, and only drive it one way ... ~ 660 ... (UHaul rental is ~ $112 before taxes, etc.).

I did a rough calc using 9MPG @ $2.95/gal. and it's a no-brainer that the UHaul is the better bargain. But, what I don't know is, what is the estimated MPG economy our trucks get while towing ...

Anyone that has any ideas, please, your help would be appreciated. Thanks! :thumbs:

I did a rough calc using 9MPG @ $2.95/gal. and it's a no-brainer that the UHaul is the better bargain. But, what I don't know is, what is the estimated MPG economy our trucks get while towing ...

Well, when I pull my 6,500 lb camp trailer, I get about 10 MPG. That was with stock exhaust and only a K&N drop in. I have not pulled my camp trailer since my cat back and CAI. I expect it to do 1 to 2 MPG better now.

By the way, this MPG is pulling at 70 MPH. And I have 4.10 gears.

Mike

I got 10 MPG pulling a 8X14 enclosed bike trailer (5000# +/- ) to and from Myrtle Beach across Eagle Mtn and the Appalachians averaging 70-80 MPH.

A friends HD Ford was averaging 8-9 MPG. I don't know if any manufacturer list an estimated fuel mileage while towing :dunno:

I would rent the Uhaul. If you blow a tire or wreck your buddies trailer you will be well over the 200 bucks for the rental. Also ... towing an empty trailer sucks ass

How big is the trailer? It seems that frontal area (aerodynamic drag) is the determining factor for flat land MPG, no so much weight. I got an average of 10 mpg over a ~1000 mile trip last fall, hauling my 5000 lb trailer. That included mountains and flat driving, and I kept it 55-60 mph (55 is the speed limit when towing in California).

By the way, U-haul has a pretty spotty reputation. If you use them check the trailer out real good before taking it. Google up "U-Haul problems"

CRW_2062.jpg

kept it 55-60 mph

By the way, U-haul has a pretty spotty reputation. If you use them check the trailer out real good before taking it. Google up "U-Haul problems"

:withstupid:

i have pulled my share of u-hauls off the freeway with blown tires and wheel bearing failure. when i talked to the people almost every one said that they were doing 75+mph... :shakehead:

if you look, most 205-75R-15 ST and 225-75R-15 ST tires that most trailers come with, are only speed rated to 55-65 MPH..so run them on a hot day, with road temps. over 100* at over 70 mph and you will find yourself in deep s**t.. :sick: besides you will get better MPG at 55-60

good luck and enjoy the :driving:

:seeya:

I know it drove me nuts when I would rent a car u-hauler full place trailer to move my camaro back and forth to winter storage. They ahd this backwards sign on teh drivers fender that was a speed limit sign that said 45mph. I asked the guy one time about it and he said the tires were prone to failures above 45mph. I aske dif he knew that alot of people "take these things on the highways" and he just shrugged and said "Recommended speed limit is 45mph, and shrugged." WTF? I always towed at 60-65mph, if you dont, you'll get run off the road in michigan.

Thanks for the info. guys. I do appreciate it. I guess it's safe to say that I'm looking to run 10 MPG ... and if that's the case, I'll prolly get the trailer from UHaul. BigO brought up the great point of not being responsible for it ... I kinda liked that concept ...

Thanks Again! :seeya: