new speakers sound worse, what gives?

well i dont know what you mean by everything "in phase", but i do know i have the polarity correct. i did not use harness, they are soldered/shrink wrapped the way ive always done installs, which IMO is better than plugs. anyway, i ohmed them out and yes, the bose are 2 ohm the infinitys are 4 ohms, which explains a lot. im probably going to put the stock speaker back in there as the earthquake speakers i have are 4 ohm as well.

heres another situation im having... so i got my new subthump box (which for the price is very nice), i got the shallow one with the amp rack, which is essentially 2 truck boxes with a board attaching them, but contoured to the floor etc etc. ive got a volfenhag 7170 amp with 2 sets of rca's in, so i ran 2 sets of rca's from the pac24 unit (stock head unit BTW), one into the "front" one into the "rear" and started tuning. ive got 2 big ass jl audio 10"s with dual voice coils, theyre older but in very good conditon. anyway, so that being said, i started tuning and i cant get them to sound good. i think part of the problem is that the amp gives me between 4-8 ohms tolerance for subs, and when i have it wired for dual voice coils that puts me at like 12 ohms. so i disconnected the one side and just wired it pos/neg, which should put the sub at 6 ohms, and noticed no change in sound. i cant get any real bottom end out of this system, it sounds SORT of good, but not how it should, this amp is 400x2 bridged....that should be more than plenty to shake my truck apart but its got NO low end. help?

Are your JL subs dual 6 ohm voice coils? Or dual 3 ohm? I'm confused at how you came up with a 12 ohm load for the subs...

Halving the ohm load will double the power going to the driver, giving you a 3db gain in sound output (in theory anyway). Dropping from 4 to 2 ohm speaker shouldn't make the speaker sound the way you talk about... something else is wrong or they are really, really crappy speakers. Draw up a pic in MS Paint or something to show how everything is wired, include ohm ratings of each speaker too.

I've got one 12" sub on a 400 watt amp and it sounds great with the rest of the factory Bose pieces in place. Just needs a bit more mid bass and clearer highs...

JL's older W6 subs were a DVC 6ohm sub. as for them not giving you any bottom end, my guess is the box is too small. or you have the subsonic set to high, also what is the fuse size on this amp? I am not tu firmiliar with this brand but I can say that some 4 channel amps are not capable of running at 2 channel LOW PASS so one of you subs mugh be hi passed... just a thought!

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
i think that might be part of my problem ive got something wired wrong. im pretty familiar with ohms law, however i really never deal with the wattage part of the equation, at least in an audio sense. i dont understand how you say 1 ohm of resistance is twice as much as 4?? if it takes one amp to push one ohm of resistance per ohms law, how could one ohm be twice as much as four? im not being a dick, im just seriously confused with this system, ive never had this much trouble. the way you say to have the subs wired is how?? really quick heres what ive got and how its wired, ive got

a 4 channel amp. ive got it set up so its 2 channels bridged, positive on channel one negative on channel two, positive on three, negative on four....thats set up correctly for bridged out put, right? either that or it could be +1 -3 +2 -4, im not sure but as far as the amp is concerned i have it set up per their instructions. now on the subs, ive got a set of +/- on either side of the sub, with a jumper across from one positive to the other negative, then out of the amp ive got a positive to the remaining positive, and a negative to the remaining negative. is this correct? this is confusing the shit out of me, i could put up pix if that might help.

ALSO..........what is the benefit of dvc???

ALSO......... should i stuff my box?? LOL that sounds diirrrrty :)

Don't recall if you ever got this straightened out ... and going back and reading it, I see where I typed it to sound confusing ... sorry ... let me try again ...

Having a DVC sub is like having 2 subs in one. Lets use a mono amplifier as an example. It only has 1 channel. If that channel is rated 200 Watts at 4 ohms, then 200 watts is the potential that the amp can put out through 1 path (1 speaker). If the amp is stable to 2 ohms resistance, you can effectively double your power output of the amplifier by connecting 2 4-ohm subs (wired parallel, not in series), or a 1 DVC sub. The reason that the power output doubles is because there's 2 paths for the current to follow, each 4 ohms, and the amplifier doubles current output (Watts) as if there was only 2 ohms of resistance.

Think of it like a water tower ... the amount of water stored is the tower's "potential", waiting to be released to the ground. If you have water moving through a 4-inch pipe, only a certain volume will flow to ground. If you connect another 4" pipe to the tank, a higher volume of water will flow ... but the resistance of each pipe (4 inch) remains the same.

I think where I typed it confusing was when I tried to explain how you get current flow equivalent to a 1 ohm load by doubling the paths that current could flow through ... (I think I was drunk that night ... note to self: don't post until the room stops spinning ... :jester: ... sorry :crazy: )

So ... if your single channel amp has a power rating of 400 Watts @ 4 ohms, and you provide 2 paths for current to flow (2 single voice coil subs or 1 dual voice coil) you're tricking the amp into thinking there's only 2 ohms of resistance. (4 ohms/2 paths = 2 ohms) If you do this, you've doubled the current flow from 400 Watts to 800 Watts. (400 Watts x 2 paths = 800 Watts) Using a DVC sub in this example is better because all 800 Watts go to 1 sub. Using 2 single voice coil subs, the 800 Watts is split between 2 subs. :thumbs:

i think that might be part of my problem ive got something wired wrong. im pretty familiar with ohms law, however i really never deal with the wattage part of the equation, at least in an audio sense. i dont understand how you say 1 ohm of resistance is twice as much as 4?? if it takes one amp to push one ohm of resistance per ohms law, how could one ohm be twice as much as four? im not being a dick, im just seriously confused with this system, ive never had this much trouble. the way you say to have the subs wired is how?? really quick heres what ive got and how its wired, ive got

a 4 channel amp. ive got it set up so its 2 channels bridged, positive on channel one negative on channel two, positive on three, negative on four....thats set up correctly for bridged out put, right? either that or it could be +1 -3 +2 -4, im not sure but as far as the amp is concerned i have it set up per their instructions. now on the subs, ive got a set of +/- on either side of the sub, with a jumper across from one positive to the other negative, then out of the amp ive got a positive to the remaining positive, and a negative to the remaining negative. is this correct? this is confusing the shit out of me, i could put up pix if that might help.

ALSO..........what is the benefit of dvc???

ALSO......... should i stuff my box?? LOL that sounds diirrrrty :)

Ok ... I THINK I understand how you're wired ... you've got a 4 channel amp bridged down to 2 channels. And it sounds like the amp is wired correctly for bridged output ... I believe the problem is the jumper you have on the subs. The way the subs are wired now, you're only powering them to half capacity. That's probably why they don't sound that good.

DVC subs can be confusing ... I remember the first time I saw one ... I was like ... WTF??? :banghead:

The way you have the subs wired now is referred to as "in series". One + and one - wire going from one amp channel to the sub. To increase the power to them, you would have to wire them "parallel" ... or run 2 sets of wires from the one amp channel to the sub.

This could be dangerous because ... if the sub's voice coils are 6 ohms each, to run them on one bridged channel, you need an amp that will survive at least a 3 ohm load. (Refer to my last post, 6 ohms/2 paths = 3 ohms)

If your amp will only tolerate up to a 4 ohm load, you could blow your amp, and take out the subs with it.

If you have info. on your amp ... it would help. Post the model again ... I googled the model# and found one amp that's good for 1000W and one that's good for 400W ... so, I dunno which one to look at ... :dunno: