2 f-bodies up in flames yesterday

tawss04

Yesteraday about 5pm we are standing out front of are shop and my dad say something is on fire, we seen smoke not to far from the shop (been seening that with all these fires but this was closer). We see the firetrucks go racing by. About 15-20min later the phone rings and it one of our real good customers, she then tells me her garage just went up in flames and their T/a cuaght fire they dont live to far from us, the smoke was them. So I jump in my rollback to head over there hoping it's not real bad (she tends to blow up everything more than it is) I get the and it has only been about 30min since it started, they have (had) an 6 car garage detached from the house. They had 5 cars parked in it a 79 T/A with a 6.6l ram air, 86 Camaro, 87 Jeep Wrangler, 78 Malibu and a 88 Dodge Diplomat. All the cars were in mint condition except for the Malibu, it was rough. There was nothing left, all that was the were 5 burnt shells The fire got so hot it even melted the alluminum wheel on the Camaro Appearently what happend was the T/A started it, the alternaltor and the cruise control servo were so close the c/c must have loosend or something and shorted to the back of the alt. Once it caught fire and the flames spread, the garage was all wood and with paper, records, ect and 4 other cars it was not hard for the fire to take it over. The sister-in-law that takes care of the place had seen the flames coming from the T/A and the the corner of the garage she ran and grabbed the keys as they called 911, the T/a was ingulfed when she came out and just as she gets to the Diplomat that was a the opposite end the flames shot across the roof and down the other side as went to unlock the door then and a roof bem fell she got out. They lost all 5 cars. The T/A and the Camaro were just in my last week service- oil changes, These cars had not been in for 6mths and the Camaro only had a 102 miles since its last visit and the T/A had only a couple hundred on it, these cars were mint and not driven much They were meticulous about all their vehicles. Not sure how or why the short happend, the car was all original with the exception of the wheels, we changed the oil topped off all fluids etc. we check for dry rott in the tires and so forth cause they sit, I could see it of it was a beater but this just sucks The worst part is they just had basic insurance cause they dont drive it much, so the auto ins wont cover the damages and the home owners wont cover it because the cars was what started it.

Sorry for the long post.

I should have some Pics when I go to pic up the vehicles to take them to the scrap yard

Didn't something similar happen to Reggie Jackson's collection a few years back?

I covered a tire store fire a couple of years ago in Montana. An oil heater ignited a drum of waste oil near one of the rack. It was a big tire shop and burned for an entire weekend. There was a brand new Tahoe in there from a local dealer set to get blinged out and the shop burned down around the Tahoe. The fire department salvaged the keys out of what was left of the front office and drove the damn thing out of the wreckage! It was amazing. Not a scratch on the Tahoe. They had to total the truck anyway due to severe smoke damage.