Baer Extreme-Plus bakes

I'm looking to upgrade my brakes since i recently purchased a new boat. I just don't have the confidence in the stock brakes to stop at all. I know a bunch of you guys are running the alumasports and complain of squeeling, rebedding the pads, etc.. Does anyone have any info on the extreme plus kits? Just trying to make the best decision based on performance and $$$. thanks for all your inputs..

Bill

Yeah its not direct bolt on, however the alumasports are. They are made by the same poeple who make the stock brakes (pbr). Just bigger, and if the problem is squealing you will not get that solved with the extreme brakes. The squeal is do to a coating on the caliper when you dont run it hard. The extremes are more performance.

I have a thread here somewhere on my brake install with pics if you're interested... I had to take a few minutes grinding down the casting flash off the McGauhys spindles; I believe that the stock spindles you probably won't need to do this but really other than needing a peanut grinder it's not a big deal at all.

The Alumasports "attack" just as hard as the 6S brakes, but the larger rotors on the 6S set have A LOT more thermal capacity so if you are hauling down a lot of weight I would recommend that set. OTOH if your boat has trailer brakes then upgrading to the Alumasports is fine. And the squeal is more a fault of the pad formulation, not the calipers - Alumasport (PBR) calipers use pads that fit a Chrysler 300C so one could easily shop for other pads if they wanted...

Mr. P.

Yeah its not direct bolt on, however the alumasports are. They are made by the same poeple who make the stock brakes (pbr). Just bigger, and if the problem is squealing you will not get that solved with the extreme brakes. The squeal is do to a coating on the caliper when you dont run it hard. The extremes are more performance.

are the alumasport calipers bigger than the 06' calipers?

are the alumasport calipers bigger than the 06' calipers?

Hmmmm good question, the '05+ stock brakes are FAR superior to the 2003-2004 design, but I've driven an '05 truck and in my judgement yes the Alumasports do give more braking power but the difference is not as drastic as upgrading a 2003-2004 truck.

Mr. P.

Hmmmm good question, the '05+ stock brakes are FAR superior to the 2003-2004 design, but I've driven an '05 truck and in my judgement yes the Alumasports do give more braking power but the difference is not as drastic as upgrading a 2003-2004 truck.

Mr. P.

ok my head is about as clear as mud on this subject :crackup: if anyone knows a good deal on a complete kit for the Alumasports please drop me a PM. thanks

Mr. P.

when i seen the 04' caliper vs. my 06' there are way bigger, just trying to make an excuse to get the extrem plus system not the alumasport :jester:

when i seen the 04' caliper vs. my 06' there are way bigger, just trying to make an excuse to get the extrem plus system not the alumasport :jester:

The performance of the Alumasport and 6S are the same up to about 55-60 mph, IMO that's about the fastest speed I would attempt a panic stop on the AlumaSports without melting them down; by comparison the fastest panic stop I would attempt on stock '03 brakes without warping them would be about 40-45 mph and even then the braking distance will be a hell of a lot longer than the Alumasports. The 6S do have a lot more thermal reserve, the maximum speed from which I can panic stop is now about 80-ish mph; I've never done it but from a few month's experience with the product I know that if needed the 6S will do a true panic stop at 80-mph and not only survive but also not fade. But even at that I would still recommend that unless you are braking significantly from high speeds I would stick with the AlumaSports. With quieter pads!

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

The performance of the Alumasport and 6S are the same up to about 55-60 mph, IMO that's about the fastest speed I would attempt a panic stop on the AlumaSports without melting them down; after that the 6S do have a lot more thermal reserve, the maximum speed from which I can panic stop is now about 85-mph. Unless you are braking significantly from high speeds I would recommend the AlumaSports.

Steve,

thanks for the feedback.. Now i'll just have to find a good place to purchase them and some Earl ss lines

Steve,

thanks for the feedback.. Now i'll just have to find a good place to purchase them and some Earl ss lines

The magic recipie -

1. stainless lines

2. ATE Super brake fluid

3. BAER AlumaSport fronts & stock rears, -or- BAER 6S fronts & BAER Alumasports rears

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)