Caliper HELP!

montanass

Ok, so I got my new Hawk pads for my truck from Summit, and started with the rear calipers, I then noticed that the pads they sent me are the wrong ones, but that's not what my problem is. I CANT get the 12mm bolts out that hold the calipers on. The broke loose with a closed end relatively easily, but i cant for the life of me get the bolt to slide out. I've tried pry bars, vice grips... you name it. So i gave up and decided to worry about it when i got the right pads in, but now i cant get the bolts to thread in. :banghead: So i left the truck at the shop, and drove the car home.

So yeah, i need help/guidence with those silly little bolts.

I tried Turbo's how to, but that wasnt much help. So if you gents have any insight, it would be appreciated.

how do the threads look? if you remove the caliper from the rotor will the bolts thread in without the caliper in place? did you remove the entire caliper and the calipe rmounts? or are the caliper mounts on there and you need to remount the caliper to the calipe rmounts if you have the whole caliper i would remove it from the caliper mount and try mouning the mount by itself and then the caliper.

Take out the two large bolts that hold the caliper mount to the truck. These bolts are really in there and even have some type of LocTite on the threads. Once the whole thing is off (mount and caliper) pull the opposing ends of the caliper apart until you can wiggle out the old pads. They should slide off pretty easily with mild force (as long as the slide are not rusted). You will see the tiny little boots (that protect the shaft of the bolt you are spinning) separate from the caliper as you do this. Hopefully they are still shiny and not rusted. Grease them up if they are and then make sure the little boots are fully seated and no dirt can get in there upon reassembly.

just so i understand correctly, BOTH bolts that hold the caliper are just spinning in there holes and will not thread in or out and are stuck in there?

:dunno: I can't understand what is being described here either - can you post a pic?

^^ what Josh said

Ok, I'm gonna use Turbo's pics from the How to, to help me better describe what's going on here: Link to How To

pics:

upper bolt

calipboltujp2.jpg

lower bolt

calipboltbja9.jpg

the bolts don't move in/out, however they do turn clockwise and counter-clockwise. :confused:

I took the truck to Les Schwab today and they couldn't figure out what the problem was. they just told me to pull the mounting bracket bolts and change the pads by doing that, but it still doesn't fix my free spinning bolts :banghead:

any thoughts on this? I'm totally stumped, this is turning into a project instead of like a 1.5 hour job.... :sigh:

on my rear disc Impala, there was the bolt that held the caliper and the slider that it got bolted to. Yu need to hold the other side of the bolt and get the sliders out, as they wear out, Just my thoughts, and if you take the mount off it needs to get torqued down pretty good.

I'll go look at Turbo's pics to see if I am talking about the same thing.

EDIT:I looked at the pic and you can see that both sides need to get held w/ wrench, then the caliper will come off and the sliders will slide out, lube and inspect them. You can buy the slider things if they are messed up, when I did this to the imp one got stuck in the mount and I had to remove it, and it damaged the bracket a little, but I did not replace the mount...

I did a pic. put your wrenches on the red spots, the blue is the slider and the green is how the bold threads into the slider. Hope this helps, I am new to painting on images and have a sorry ass program, but I hope you get the idea.

Getherdone

I thought I remembered the two caliper bolts being large torx head fastners? The threads on the bolt are only 5/8" long, once you've unscrewed the bolt it may still be "captured" by the rubber dust boot but you should be able to pull it out of the hole. (heh heh, I said 'hole' :jester: )

Mr. P.

dude your finger looks like it just came from a .............. never mind , please wash your hands.

I think those are gloves lol...

and yea, as mentioned above, you need to put a wrench on the inside to hold the insert or it will just spin while you try to loosen the bolt.