Tranny questions

What is with the TBTC that everyone likes so much. (And does it stand for TrailBlazer TC??) I'm not educated on TC's at all. I understand the brake stall but what is flash? Also I've seen posts about over camming their TC's. If I got a TBTC (2600 stall right?) and had a TR 224/224 .563/.563 112 lsa would I over cam it?? Not sure what they mean, they move their powerband past the stall, as far as losing low end grunt??(Thats what I'm assuming) Also have a cam question but I'll post that in the right section. Last thing is if anyone from MN reads this I need a good Tranny Shop and Motor Shop around the Minnepolis area.

Good questions. Ok, TBTC stands for TrailBlazer torque converter for those that don't know it yet. That name comes from what the converter was actually built for. The TrailBlazer with a 4.2L uses a torque converter that has a higher stall speed due to the lack of low rpm power from the 4.2L engine. When you take that as well as the way stall speed of a torque converter works, you get a much higher stall speed when put behind a 6.0L. The more torque you put in front of the torque converter, the higher the stall speed will be. The difference between flash stall and brake stall is how you get to the stall point (where the converter is forcing the truck to move or will not rev any higher). Brake stall is the rpm in which you hold the vehicle back with the brakes at the highest rpm the engine will reach without the vehicle moving or tires spinning. Flash stall is the rpm in which the engine rev's to before the tires spin or truck moves without holding the truck back.

The resaon people like the TBTC is that they are cheap compared to a real performance converter. $200-300 versus $600-1,000. As far as the cam question, I run a 224/581 @114, the higher the lift and lower the lsa, the more lope you will have. Lope doesn't always translate into speed though. Mine has a noticeable lope, I could personally deal with a little more. Generally (I think I'm right) the more lift/lope you have, the higher the power range is going to be. Mine pulls hard from 3500 up. I was pulling 1.98-2.00 60 ft times before the cam and tune, now it's like 2.13-2.15 60 ft times, but my mph is higher than before. That tells me I am faster once I get moving but slower out of the hole. Therefore, I stated that I overcammed my converter. I have a 3200 Yank waiting to be installed. That should haelp a lot out of the hole. If you are planning on running that cam, a TBTC might not be the right choice for you. It will definately help versus a stocker, but if you are looking for all you can get, you will need to fork over some real cash. My Yank Pro Truck 3200 was $945 shipped and I caught a sale in April that included a free 36,000 lb cooler. Of course, I'm still waiting on the cooler to get here.