Headers exhaust flange? Need Help

PLEASE HELP ASAP. I am trying to put on some headers on the truck and I bought the new doughnuts that go into the Y-pipe in btw the header and Y-pipe but can't get the old ones out. Any hints, tips?? Thank you . Trying to finish today!!!

PLEASE HELP ASAP. I am trying to put on some headers on the truck and I bought the new doughnuts that go into the Y-pipe in btw the header and Y-pipe but can't get the old ones out. Any hints, tips?? Thank you . Trying to finish today!!!

It's kinda hard to understand exactly what you're asking for here because of some missing periods/etc. Added to the fact that the stock SS exhaust doesn't have a Y-pipe up front to put a doughnut into. Are you talking about the copper and braided stainless rings that go into the stock manifold collector? Those wouldn't be used with headers... The two intermediate pipes that go from the collector to the muffler pipes don't have gaskets at all on my 2003 SS, so I'm really confused... :dunno: Got any pics?

No I don't have any pics cause it is all done now. Sorry about the punctuation. I was in a rush. Score 1 for the away team your right it is not a "Y-Pipe" but for anybody that was talking exhause they would know exactly where you were talking about. Yes your 03 does have a gasket between the collector and the intermediate pipes. It is a litttle circle that fits into the intermediate pipe and then crushes closed against the collector when tightened. This little circle is also called a doughnut gasket. Thought there was some special trick to getting it out on these Great trucks that really aren't so great all the time. Beat it up with a screw driver till there was enough metal to grab with a vise grips... By the way why IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU CHANGE BOLTS THAT HAVE BEEN THE STANDARD WELL PROBABLY SINCE YOUR PARENTS GRAND PARENTS HAVE BEEN DRIVING>??? Why change the header bolts and exhaust studs??? What happened to 3/8 header bolts What happened to the standard system?? Oh well I guess this is just another lost cause again. Thanks again!!!

:confused: The only gaskets I have in the whole exhaust system are the metal rings between the manifolds and the converters :dunno:

And yeah I hear you on the tools, the first time I went to change the oil I had to go to Walmart and buy a set of metric sockets. :(

Mr. P.

No I don't have any pics cause it is all done now. Sorry about the punctuation. I was in a rush. Score 1 for the away team your right it is not a "Y-Pipe" but for anybody that was talking exhause they would know exactly where you were talking about. Yes your 03 does have a gasket between the collector and the intermediate pipes. It is a litttle circle that fits into the intermediate pipe and then crushes closed against the collector when tightened. This little circle is also called a doughnut gasket. Thought there was some special trick to getting it out on these Great trucks that really aren't so great all the time. Beat it up with a screw driver till there was enough metal to grab with a vise grips... By the way why IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU CHANGE BOLTS THAT HAVE BEEN THE STANDARD WELL PROBABLY SINCE YOUR PARENTS GRAND PARENTS HAVE BEEN DRIVING>??? Why change the header bolts and exhaust studs??? What happened to 3/8 header bolts What happened to the standard system?? Oh well I guess this is just another lost cause again. Thanks again!!!

Wow, those were the gaskets you were talking about. Mine fell right out when I had my intermediate pipes off when I replaced the gaskets, studs, and nuts about 2 months ago. I couldn't tell for sure since GM changes things from time to time, so I needed clarification. I was further confused by the fact that you said you were installing headers onto your truck... headers wouldn't use those gaskets or have any need for them to be removed... I'm still confused...