Front end noises/vibration @ speeds over 80 mph

I'm now at 12k miles and this has been present since day 1. Doesnt seem to matter

what gear I'm in (3rd or od) Only happens while on throttle, the harder, the worse it gets.

It's as if the front driveshaft is out of line with the T-case and front diff.

This scares my feet. ( if the d-shaft let loose, bye bye feet. ).

Dealer says all dimensions are within spec. :fume:

Anyone got ideas? Know of a 4 wheel dyno in chicago area?

I d park it in there showroom ( if you know what I mean). My Benz had similair problems at 90 MPH and although the dealer wouldn t drive the vehicle at those speeds the tech offered to ride with me to get a feel for the problem. Not that it s the same problem but they put a spacer back in the wrong spot on the rear diff causing a driveshaft allignment problem like you stated. Did anyone ever remove anything from those areas? Rear end repairs? How about a driveshaft balance problem. Good Luck, I don t know how you put up with that for so long. :confused:

Mine does this too.

Definitely not a wheel. Definitely a driveshaft or two. :rolleyes:

I get a slight shudder at 70 at times, but when I put my foot in it, I usually get the bad vibes. I've been meaning to get under the truck to check things out myself - maybe bump one driveshaft at a time, 180*. Something like that.

If that don't work, it'll have to go to service to get the shafts balanced. :confused:

Nothing has been taken apart or worked on. I really think something is out of balance, but the vibration goes away when I let off. :crazy:

I thought I'd pull the front d-shaft and make a run but, from what I read somewhere, I could damage the T-case. Did someone say something about front axles & being in or out of phase? The axles seem to be perfectly straight & level.

Tempted yes, but I have'nt even turned the torsion bolts. Lowering would seem to straighten the d-shaft but, would then put angle in the axles.

The front shaft just bugs me because it does'nt seem to have any free play front to back. I wonder if under hard load the tranny moves just enough to cause a bind?

I guess I should start balancing things to the extreme degree. :puke:

Thanks for your imput.

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I have twice experienced a disturbing "rumbling" sound/slight vibration when accelerating at high speeds (over 80mph). Disappeared when I let off the throttle...

I logged one of these events with EFILive and observed that the computer was dumping in more fuel than normal when this happened. I suspect that this was the COT (catalyst over temp) protection function of the PCM. Apparently the PCM adds fuel when it thinks the cats are getting too hot. If this makes the mixture too rich it could cause the engine to stutter... :confused:

This happened before I had Edit. Now I can turn off the COT function... but I haven't tested this theory yet.

Good one deezel :thumbs:

but, [/u] (for me anyway!!)

Goodyear says my tires are o.k. But it was a cheesy balance. Got appt. sat. for a

"Road Force" balance on sat. ( ouch! $125. ) Hey all in the name of performance, right! :wtf:

Wrong about d-shaft angle / stays the same.

My truck has the same noise a 80 to 100. Past 100 it goes away. It sounds like a harmonic of some sort in the drive line. Because the noise goes away when the load is taken off, I tend to think it is in the front diff.

Anyone know the speed limit in Montana? will you get a ticket for 80? If not, there is the reason to have it fixed.

Chad

You guys need to find someone who Speed Balances on the Truck......

I've had to have it done in the past with strange vibrations. Tires and wheels can sometime balance on the machine but when they are on the Hub they are out of Balance.. "On Car Speed Balances" will balance the wheel on the hub at speeds up to tire speed rating.....its a little costly but it works!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same sound. When hauling aSS, there is a low growl. Step on it more and it goes away or the exhaust comes up, one of the two, or both :rolleyes: Might this have to do with the TSB about the frond drive axels??? :confused:

When in my other SS @80 you can go and go some more but

in the SSS @80 you can feel bogged down, more gas, not the same pull as the Impala...could this be fixed with LS! edit?? Not the grinding sound :(

the bogging probably :confused:

just keeping informed

joe

:thumbs:

Been advised by a tranny guy that mine is probably the rear d-shaft.

Road force balance took most of it away, but not all. Haven't had a chance to pull the shaft and send it out.

marcwsaid he would try to set one 180 off to see if it was harmonics. Don't know?

have you guys had these problems from the start or did they just show up?

I never took it over that speed until my nelson performance tune 2 weeks ago. It has made the vibration every time I get the truck up to the speed which 4 times so far.

:D

Yeah i feel a shudder on mine, but after a certain point, it goes away. it felt also that it would happen high up in the RPM's, and i kind of felt it before the 2-3 shift. im not worried about it. i dont often drive over 90, and if something does happen, provided i am uninjured, ill be happy because i get a brand new SS, and if i do get hurt, i can sue chevrolet for more money.

Archived