boiled peanuts

jon1178

lmao... you guys seriously have too much time on your hands... boiled peanuts... lol... m not being a hater... just wish i had some more time and money to be able to experiment on stuff like that.... what i want to know who was the rock scientist behind this one... hmmm lets boil peanuts for 6 hours and then eat them... someone must have put peanuts in some soup one day, smoked a fatty, fell asleep, woke up with the munchies and eat the boiled peanuts and was hooked...

yea ok, so now i want some... ugh... bastards!

Edited by usabodyguard (see edit history)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, don't hate. Most yankees and left coasters dont normally eat what we do down here. We probably eat a lotta stuff ya'll normally wouldn't try.

By the way, for those that don't know, BBQ isn't putting burgers and dogs on a grill (ex. We're BBQing on the 4th of July). BBQ is the beef or pork itself.

But thats a whole other discussion. Quick story... when the ex and I got to Alaska we ordered BBQ sandwiches from a delivery place. What showed up was

sliced roast beef with Heinz 57 on it. We're looking at each other like WTF.

Hey man, don't hate. Most yankees and left coasters dont normally eat what we do down here. We probably eat a lotta stuff ya'll normally wouldn't try.

By the way, for those that don't know, BBQ isn't putting burgers and dogs on a grill (ex. We're BBQing on the 4th of July). BBQ is the beef or pork itself.

But thats a whole other discussion. Quick story... when the ex and I got to Alaska we ordered BBQ sandwiches from a delivery place. What showed up was

sliced roast beef with Heinz 57 on it. We're looking at each other like WTF.

c'mon now! i know the difference between BBQing and grilling. now the Heinz 57 is just plain wrong. almost like those fools that think ketchup (or catsup) brings out the flavor in meat like steak or roast beef. that sickens me.

i'll admit, you guys do a BBQ right. for us, it tends to be more about the party and less about the food sometimes. some of us up here do know how to do it, it's usually the time/energy.

why did you have to do that? i'm hungry again and all i can think about is chicken and pulled pork. damn!

what i want to know who was the rock scientist behind this one... hmmm lets boil peanuts for 6 hours and then eat them...

have you ever heard of polk salad (like the old song polk salad annie)

you have to boil it and drain the water 3 times or else it is poison, who ate it after the first person died after boiling it once. "hey lets boil it again maybe it wont kill us then"

then it did and they tried it a third time.

i agree, i am orig from louisiana, and we eat everything that moves.

possum, armadillo, alligator, squirrels, rabbits, gar, carp, turtles , even nutria rat,

then you got the guys who noodle for catfish

lmao... you guys seriously have too much time on your hands... boiled peanuts... lol... m not being a hater... just wish i had some more time and money to be able to experiment on stuff like that.... what i want to know who was the rock scientist behind this one... hmmm lets boil peanuts for 6 hours and then eat them... someone must have put peanuts in some soup one day, smoked a fatty, fell asleep, woke up with the munchies and eat the boiled peanuts and was hooked...

yea ok, so now i want some... ugh... bastards!

I am from Miami, which is a different world in the culinary arts. But when I head "north" boiled peanuts and sweet tea is the staple. I read up on the history of boiled peanuts and it was actually created around the time of the civil war or before it. It was found to have a better shelf life and it was easy to transport then the other food they had. It provided the soldiers with protein and salt.

Never tried possum, squirrel, or any of the other authentic southern foods :smash:

If you're traveling through the backcountry of Louisiana, DO NOT buy any boiled peanuts at the that no-name mom and pop gas station/convenience store. You'll be praying for just the s**ts. You'll be making "hurl" stops every five minutes on the way back. Don't ask any questions, just trust me on this one.

Being from the north, I've never heard of boiled peanuts. Dry roasted is the way to go. :thumbs:

The thing I don't understand is Why can't I get a meal south of Ohio without a big nasty pile of GRITS? :puke::puke: I swear, you could order watermelon and they bring it with grits. :mad:

it's strange how when you wander to a different part of the U.S. things you have at home somehow are different or dont exist.About 10 years ago my buddy and i went to Colorado(beautiful state)to visit a friend and decide to see the sites the next day,well us northern boys know what a bacon,egg,and cheese sandwich is right?we went to at least a dozen restaurants and everyone looked at us like we were from mars or something,no had a clue as to what this sandwich was.btw you take a kieser or any other roll cut it in half ad egg,bacon and cheese and you are good to go.

maybe its cause i live in So Cal, but i have never heard of boiling peanuts. nor has it ever crossed my mind. it just seems like too much time and energy to eat some nuts. what do i know though??

quote//Why can't I get a meal south of Ohio without a big nasty pile of GRITS?

Hole up now Bob, lets not cross the line here. LOL Grits are awsum, but youz guyz call your

version cream o' wheat I think. I'm not to keen on cream o' wheat myself. As far as we're

(southerners) concerned, just about everything is better deep fried. Of course, as a whole

we probably have a shorter life span because of it.

quote//Why can't I get a meal south of Ohio without a big nasty pile of GRITS?

Hole up now Bob, lets not cross the line here. LOL Grits are awsum, but youz guyz call your

version cream o' wheat I think. I'm not to keen on cream o' wheat myself. As far as we're

(southerners) concerned, just about everything is better deep fried. Of course, as a whole

we probably have a shorter life span because of it.

Deep fried is definately good. Probably why I had a heart atteack at 51. :banghead:

Cream of Wheat is not the same as grits. Looks similar, but Cream of Wheat is made from wheat whereas I think grits are made from corn? I can deal with cream of wheat. Grits are just plain nasty. :puke: Like I said, I just don't understand why I can't get a meal without them. You can tell the waitress 50 times and when your meal is brought out--there's a big ole pile of grits. :mad: Seriously--what part of "I don't want grits" do southern people not understand?