intake question

1BAD2K

ive researched and still havent come to a conclusion. i am going to oder a volant for my truck and i was wondering which one i need. i have a 2006 SS 2WD 6.0 . any help is appreciated....thanks

You need to not order a Volant and go with an Outlaw or GMPP intake! Just my .02

if i remember right, the CHP mag tested a couple of CAI on the supercharged truck and the new design volant came out on top. And although i did not see any et drop from my volant with the ram air tube the IAT temp is ambient with the out side air.

Brad

I was just adding my opinion. I had a Volant for many years before my Outlaw. I liked it, however, I did see an ET drop when I switched to Outlaw. I honestly feel that they are all pretty much equal nowadays. It really comes down to looks and price. I really like Outlaws design and sound.

I was just adding my opinion. I had a Volant for many years before my Outlaw. I liked it, however, I did see an ET drop when I switched to Outlaw. I honestly feel that they are all pretty much equal nowadays. It really comes down to looks and price. I really like Outlaws design and sound.

really? what kind of drop? was it going from the new style volant to the outlaw or stock to the outlaw?

really? what kind of drop? was it going from the new style volant to the outlaw or stock to the outlaw?

Well, I went from stock to the old Volant and saw nothing because I had no tune. I then went to the new Volant with the tune and saw gains (mainly from the tune of course). I recently switched to Outlaw and I'd say I dropped at least 5 hundreths over the new Volant. I know that's not much but we're talking about intakes here! That's without a ram scoop too. When I find a way to fab that up, I sense it will change a bit for the better I hope. The thing I like about the Outlaw is the design. It's compact and I think it sounds good. In my very humble opinion, I found the Volant to be very bulky and ugly under the hood. The Outlaw, again, in my opinion, just looks more performance and business minded.

DISCLAIMER...I was in no way prompted or paid by Outlaw Power to make these statement. While they have agreed to sponsor my racing efforts, I have never been asked to help them sell any products. This is simply an account of my experience using both products a statement of my opinions. :cheers:

Edited by RacerJJ (see edit history)

to be completely honest, i have never heard one bad thing said about an outlaw intake. and again to be honest, the "old style" volants LOST consistant power. (my dynotesting, several trucks; havent really tested a "new style" but the IATs in a customers SS were near ambient all the time). but i totally agree with the above statements: most intakes are just about the same flow (provided tube and filter), its just a matter of where it is drawing the air from....

so just IMO, and from my experience:

-the k&n kits are nice, good fit and finish, but they really do nothing to keep hot air out, nothing at all. boring look, unless the polished tube is used; but thats just another heat issue

-the GMPP kit most likely has a more restricted filter element, and is not reusable like every other competetor. very clean, nice performance look. air still must be drawn from the fender, which will become quite restrictive for somebody boosting.

-volant usually is considered the best looking by most individuals. like the GMPP kit, a good upgrade for a primarily stock truck, maybe a show truck, and looks fantastic. it seems to have a heat resistant material for its entire construction, but its induction areas could be better IMO. fit and finish is pretty shakey (everything but the cover)

-outlaw i have never owned one, but have installed a few. very nice fit and finish, and not as daring in looks to the volant or GMPP but still looks like it could be stock or factory highperformance. outlaw seems to be the only intake that was really "tuned" instead of thrown on with some large piping and a huge filter, like almost every other intake.

--as far as AEM and DUB intakes (still cant believe they make one now lmao), i would avoid them completely. companies like AEM are great at what they do, and what they do is NOT trucks.

ive researched and still havent come to a conclusion. i am going to oder a volant for my truck and i was wondering which one i need. i have a 2006 SS 2WD 6.0 . any help is appreciated....thanks

if u have electric fans then get the K&N intake has diff tube made for the electric fans worked great on my V-MAX

IMO it comes down to customer service. I had the old volant POS and volant did nothing when it was discovered the old system sucked @ss. There goes a chunck of cash out the door. I switched to outlaw and have been happy every since. customer service is pretty great. I bought a new outlaw for my radix and they sent me a few pieces for my old outlaw(NA) system that got destroyed when I removed it. I sold the old system. I used the volant ram air tube on my old outlaw and plan to do the same with the outlaw for radix.

IMO it comes down to customer service. I had the old volant POS and volant did nothing when it was discovered the old system sucked @ss. There goes a chunck of cash out the door. I switched to outlaw and have been happy every since. customer service is pretty great. I bought a new outlaw for my radix and they sent me a few pieces for my old outlaw(NA) system that got destroyed when I removed it. I sold the old system. I used the volant ram air tube on my old outlaw and plan to do the same with the outlaw for radix.

:withstupid: Volant pulled that same S@#% with me! I had to spend the money on the new one because I hadn't heard about Outlaw yet.

When I found out about the claims that the older system didn't increase the power I called volant and asked them about it and what I would have to do to get an upgrade. I was told they couldn't just give it for free and I said I didn't expect to get it for free i said i just thought you might give a discount to current owners. Anyways I think i only had to pay somewhere around 120 for the new one directly from them at the time. I thought that was fair.