oil filter

kaos

i use mobil extreme 15k synthetic oil... with the match mobil 1 filter... i change it every 6k miles... like previously said, why be a cheapskate when it comes to a custom truck...?

i heard from a few sources that the K&N is not all that great... just what i heard

i use mobil extreme 15k synthetic oil... with the match mobil 1 filter... i change it every 6k miles... like previously said, why be a cheapskate when it comes to a custom truck...?

i heard from a few sources that the K&N is not all that great... just what i heard

Ah, the infamous "unnamed sources"! :)

I'm going to throw this out there - why spend more $$ on a k&n oil filter? There was a good page a while back that did a test of a bunch of oil filters and rated them - someone help me out if you know what Im talking about.

My last truck (96 GMC Yukon) had over 300k miles on the original motor that ONLY got cheap valvoline non-synthetic and Fram filters...

I agree with not being a cheap-ass on an expensive truck now but Im not too craxy about it (I run Mobil 1 and AC delco filters in my SS)

I'm going to throw this out there - why spend more $$ on a k&n oil filter? There was a good page a while back that did a test of a bunch of oil filters and rated them - someone help me out if you know what Im talking about.

My last truck (96 GMC Yukon) had over 300k miles on the original motor that ONLY got cheap valvoline non-synthetic and Fram filters...

I agree with not being a cheap-ass on an expensive truck now but Im not too craxy about it (I run Mobil 1 and AC delco filters in my SS)

yeah but did you run the gmc as hard as some of us run the SS?

Drive it like you stole it ;)

And yeah I have heard that k&n is not all that either

I probably drove it harder bc I was towing a 32' trailer full of tire changers/balancers. That was up until about 200k - then I lifted it and put it on 36's. So it's a different kind of hard running but it wasn't the nicest 300k :)

Here's that link - not the newest thing but interesting info...

Oil Filter Test

Edited by Ross (see edit history)

Do you use the Mobil 1 filter? If there's something better than what I'm using, I don't mind trying it.

Me, I use Mobil 1 5w30 truck and suv oil 5 quarts with a quart of lucas synthetic oil stabilizer and then with a fram oil filter no sure of pn though. Ive heard good things about the lucas oil stabillizer and have been using fram filters in my vehicles since I was old enough to drive.

I run GM period. I"ve seen the website where a guy bought every filter out there and simply cut them in half to reveal the "inner workings". Let's just say the cheep-o Wally world and the entry level Deushtech was made WAY better than the Fram. Manufacturers filters (GM, Motorcraft, etc) were really good design and quality. The Mobile 1's and K&N were superb.... I don't recall were it was maybe Chevytalk.com? It was last year though, and pretty informative.