SLP 1.85 rockers

I cam across a set of SLP 1.85 rockers for almost free... all I had to trade for them was a core 360 Mopar shortblock and they were mine. I have to say, not worth the price that SLP charges for them, but when they are free they are well worth the time to install them, even on a basically stock truck. Nice pull at about 4000 up to redline by the buttometer (recently recalibrated).

Install went VERY easy, only taking about an hour to accomplish. I was really surprised at how quickly it went (I had the engine covers already off, so add in 5 minutes if your's are still on). The hardest part of the whole thing was the passenger's side coil bracket bolt near the firewall. My deepwell socket on the ratchet was to long to clear the firewall and the short socket wouldn't clear the stud, so I had to resort back to a thin handle breaker bar and move 1/8 of a turn at a time (ugh). The rest were all easy to reach with different length extensions and deep sockets on the air ratchet.

Not that these are going to help me when I get my L92 heads, but hey, since I lost my job almost 3 months ago, the L92 swap won't be happening anytime soon anyway. :banghead:

• 3 weeks later...
What are the advantages of new rockers?

Stock rockers are 1.7 ratio, the new ones are 1.85 ratio, which increases the lift. Stock lift divided by stock rocker ratio, multiplied by new rocker ratio = new lift... If I remember right, our stock lift is around .457 or so (is that right???), so the new lift would be .497.

Creating more lift with rockers is like adding a cam with the same duration of the cam before. If you cam is 200/200 duration and .457 lift, then you add these rockers, your new lift is .497 and 200/200 duration. You increased the lift of your cam, effectively creating more power by allowing more air to enter the engine. This usually adds 10-15hp max. For a free mod, though I would do it, I wouldnt spend $500 on a set of rockers though, I'd buy a cam first. So, you could buy a cam and get a little bit more lift out of it by adding higher ratio rockers if you wanted to. We played with these alot on our grand prixs back in the day and the most we ever saw was 15hp.

Hows the SOP feel SS_Bnoon?

i actually lost power with the crane 1.8 roller rockers..... not to mention they are like 600 bucks :banghead:. not only did i loose power, but several other vehicles we tested did. on vettes with mild mods it was an average of 10 whp (custom tune before and after). but i know the SLPs arent the same, and i have no experience with them. hell for a free mod they have to be better tho lol!

Hows the SOP feel SS_Bnoon?

SOP gain was mentioned in my first post (I stated it as Butt-o-meter :crackup: ). Midrange on up is improved.

i actually lost power with the crane 1.8 roller rockers..... not to mention they are like 600 bucks :banghead:. not only did i loose power, but several other vehicles we tested did. on vettes with mild mods it was an average of 10 whp (custom tune before and after). but i know the SLPs arent the same, and i have no experience with them. hell for a free mod they have to be better tho lol!

I noticed my fuel trims are a little low, so it is pulling just a bit more air than it was before. When you lost HP, was it with the stock camshaft? Mine feels like there's at least a 10-15 HP gain up top.

yes stock LQ9 cam. truck was blown, LT headers, corsa catback, bbk TB, and custom tune before and after. i dont think you can really tell 10 hp, you need to dyno before and after to be sure of anything. i have installed shit that i could sware made 30 more HP but on the dyno it lost power, consistantly. for example, many people put REALLY small pullies on their cobalt ss s/c, running like 20lbs of boost. but the little guy cant keep IAT out of the sky, so they actually make less power than stock (on stock CSS cars with just the pulley). but every customer who did this SWORE their car pulled 'like insane' lol..... and btw......i am the LSJ KING ! :driving::D

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)