easy weight savings...

montanass

SO......

I'm finally gonna run the new Tundra tomorow night at the local race track. We are doing 100' drags as a fund raiser for Big Brothers & Big Sisters, and I wanna win :)

I'm pretty darn sure my truck is quicker than the Tundra, so thats not really the issue. However, i would like to shave as much weight as possible to be competitive with the other racers :driving: So far i've taken off the spare tire, tow hitch, removed all my junk out of the truck, jack/tools, and subs. I've got just under a 1/2 tank of fuel, so i should be down to 1/4 or lower by tomorow night... I'm just looking for ideas on what else to remove to save a few extra pounds.

I weighed the truck last night and it tipped the scaels @ 5440#, with 1/2 a tank and everything on or in the truck (without me+180#). I'm going to weigh it on the way home to see how much i saved by just taking off a few things. I want to leave the tonneau on the truck as i have nowhere to put it for the time being.

Also, what tire pressures should i use? I'm thinking somwhere between 32-28psi should work, I want grip, but I dont want too much drag... :banghead: (running the 20's)

Thanks,

-Cody

SO......

I'm finally gonna run the new Tundra tomorow night at the local race track. We are doing 100' drags as a fund raiser for Big Brothers & Big Sisters, and I wanna win :)

I'm pretty darn sure my truck is quicker than the Tundra, so thats not really the issue. However, i would like to shave as much weight as possible to be competitive with the other racers :driving: So far i've taken off the spare tire, tow hitch, removed all my junk out of the truck, jack/tools, and subs. I've got just under a 1/2 tank of fuel, so i should be down to 1/4 or lower by tomorow night... I'm just looking for ideas on what else to remove to save a few extra pounds.

I weighed the truck last night and it tipped the scaels @ 5440#, with 1/2 a tank and everything on or in the truck (without me+180#). I'm going to weigh it on the way home to see how much i saved by just taking off a few things. I want to leave the tonneau on the truck as i have nowhere to put it for the time being.

Also, what tire pressures should i use? I'm thinking somwhere between 32-28psi should work, I want grip, but I dont want too much drag... :banghead: (running the 20's)

Thanks,

-Cody

cody, your tire pressure sounds ok. other than the cover, one of the things that come to mind is possibly removing the passenger seat and maybe even the rear. if you could find a place for the cover, i'd remove that plus the tailgate. as you know it all adds up. generally for every 100 pounds lost, you'll gain a tenth of a second. good luck!!

well i fyou really wanna lose some weight , remove your entire bed.

thereisnt much weight to remove from these big pigs after that though. the seats are worth about 150-200 lbs but its a bit of work.

I weighed the truck on the way home, and I saved 180 lbs just by removing those couple things. I think I can remove the tonneau, it will take up a little shop space, I'll clean my spare up and set it on top of that.

good point, but you've got/had a little sumthin sumthin under the hood ;)

I'm not too concerned about wind resistance, since its only a 100' race, but i figured the weight savings would help comming out of the hole. I need to invest in a TC, but i'm worried about DD driveability, and breaking stuff, IE- front end, rear end, internal trans parts, transfer case, etc. :sigh: I'm a ****... i cant commit to buy anything fun for the truck... :banghead:

You could take off the rear bumper but that's some work too. Why are you woried about tire pressure in an AWD truck? I've raced my truck since the day I bought and have never touched my tire pressure. Lose the back seat and tail gate. You may want to leave the lid on for aerodynamics.

Fill your tires with helium to what the normal pressure is.. dry air is 1.20 gm/l and helium is 0.18 gm/l. So essentially you would have a net lifting force between 1.02 & 1.03 per liter of helium at STP. These are crucial number to answer the real question of “How can I make an SSS fly..“ More scientific than that is the option of painting it the fastest color in the universe.. Black :crackup::jester: In all seriousness, I would take the back seat out, floor mats, cup holders, any plastic in the engine compartment and so on. :thumbs:

You could take off the rear bumper but that's some work too. Why are you woried about tire pressure in an AWD truck? I've raced my truck since the day I bought and have never touched my tire pressure. Lose the back seat and tail gate. You may want to leave the lid on for aerodynamics.

i've heard of people releasing their tire pressure in 2wd cars but i'm not sure if you need to do it with awd. your saying that we don't have to touch our tires for the track right? i was considering going to the track and just wanted to make sure that i don't have to do that.

Drain your windshield washer fluid (about 7lbs) , take out your backseat (weighs about 50lbs), tailgate and if you can i guess put on your winter tires since they should be lighter then the twenkies. I would leave the bed cover on even though it does weigh a bit.