SSS Front End Noises

Well, first to start, I have my truck lowered 2/2. I have a groan when I am going down the road about 40-50 mph, sounds like its coming from the front diff's, but I really don't know, its not real loud, but I can hear it and feel it a little in the steering wheel when I let off the gas and just coast at that speed.

Secondly, when I am taking a corner with the wheel pretty cranked at slow speeds or a bit faster speeds it seems to make a weird sound, like a low pitched growl or something, I don't really know...its a hard sound to describe. Its not really a clunk and I can not feel it in the steering wheel.

Both sounds are real loud but I can notice them, and with only 15K an '04 truck shouldn't have these probs. My father owns a Chevrolet dealership and the truck is still under warranty so I want to get these things checked. I don't drive the truck in the winter hardly at all, this is basically a summer vehicle, and everything else is perfect on it.

I had the truck on the hoist today and there isn't any play on the wheels, so I am not sure if it is the wheel bearings or the intermediate shaft on the turning sound, but on the diff sound, I am lost. Please help!!

There are plenty of threads on this topic just do some searches. Having been thru both problems I would pull the front diff drain plug and see if there is metal on the magnet if there is a problem starting the magnet will be full of metal 1/2" dia or more. the fluid will also be black it is pretty clear when new.

Yeah, after I had posted I did some searches. I am going to go ahead and replace all the bearings in the front and rear for starters and then go from there. Might need front hub bearings and/or the intermediate shaft done.

Well, from what I have read in the numerous posts that I have looked through say that the front differential carrier bearings are bad (wearing and pitting), which cause shavings, etc. So if/when you pull your differential case drain plug and find shavings, this is likely the cause. The best bet is to change all of the bearings and seals, and add new fluid. Many times this is the fix for the problem. Simply replacing the whole case proves to not be successful, as the factory replacements are not upgraded and have the same problems. In my case, the fronts are making the noise and not the back, as others have said also. I am going to go ahead and do both just to be sure.

I have also heard that if this does not fix the turning noise, that front wheel bearings and the intermediate shaft will need to be replaced. I am going to do the diff bearing replacement first and then go from there. I have a feeling it will fix my problems. I will eventually probably end up doing it all.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I have tried to gather information simply by reading others posts.

Thanks

well...i just had my transfer case replaced and thats when it started doing it...i dont know if that has anything to do with it or not but the guy that replaced it said that the transfer case had clutches in it and they may be so tight that thats the problem but i honestly dont know...let me nkow how things go for ya when you get everything checked out...

• 1 month later...

i just picked my truck up from the Dealer and they replaced the "accessory drive shaft" or sumthin to that affect.....it was kinda knocking on a slight turn and you could feel it in the steering...if this is happening to you take it to the dealer!!!

they will replace it under warranty.....i regret not going sooner..... :banghead: