Track results - 22' compared to stock chrome 20"

SSThunder

Oh yeah I can believe it; think about it, even though the wheels are nearly the same weight, that weight is further from the center of the wheel so you are fighting polar moment of inertia. To make matters worse, a 22" tire carcass weighs more than a 20" so not only is the rim weight further from the spindle but the tires are "denser" too. Bottom-line those wheels are costing about 1.5 to 2-tenths.

And, FYI - the factory cast rims weigh 48-lbs apiece; I weighed them myself.

SSThunder - thanks man for taking the time to really keep good notes on your runs; very informative. And I totally agree with Zippy and Krambo, sounds like the wheels are the least of the performance problems but sounds like now you are on the right track. :thumbs:

Mr. P.

Roger(kysilverado) on pt.net said the same thing about the weight further from the center. One thing that no doubt hurt my 22" runs were the fact I drove them to the track so the truck was still hot from the long trip(1.5 hours). If I let the truck cool down more it would have helped plus run them later in the night. I've got my new tune from Zippy for the 3.0 pulley but I might run the 3.3 again with the 22" to get a better comparison. I know I should have put the 22" back on before heading home so I would have some late night runs in similiar temps and with a cool down period. No doubt I was happy to see the 13.69. I was thinking with my mods a 13.7 would be pretty good at the temps I ran at. After the new test I might still consider selling my new rims/tires for some 20". I been looking already lol :jester:

Oh yeah I can believe it; think about it, even though the wheels are nearly the same weight, that weight is further from the center of the wheel so you are fighting polar moment of inertia. To make matters worse, a 22" tire carcass weighs more than a 20" so not only is the rim weight further from the spindle but the tires are "denser" too. Bottom-line those wheels are costing about 1.5 to 2-tenths.

And, FYI - the factory cast rims weigh 48-lbs apiece; I weighed them myself.

Mr. P.

I dont completely agree with my 22's being nearly the same weight. I dont know my actual numbers but I have handled my stockers and my 22's and IMO and the others who have handled both my 22's are considerbly lighter. The tiress are smaller than stockers therfore lighter and my wheels are not near as heavy as stock wheels. My .02

With the 03 return style fuel system and the vac/boost referenced FPR, you can squeeze a bit more out of the injectors. I ran a 2.8 up to 475RWHP and a 12.5 1/4 mile with the 42# injectors and started to go slightly lean if I run in the cold weather with anything over 16* of timing. I did the meth to compensate for the fueling.

Go for the 2.9 with conservative advance and you "should" be O.K.

Can'r wait to see those logs!

exactly, works great. but you can only run 16 degrees? you run 93 octane??

exactly, works great. but you can only run 16 degrees? you run 93 octane??

Yea, for me I was maxed at those levels (93 octane). Keep in mind I was cammed with a bunch of other goodies. I can push 20* now :devil:

After the new test I might still consider selling my new rims/tires for some 20". I been looking already lol :jester:
That's why I bought 20" Centerlines, shorter tires, and lowered the truck an extra inch. That is another small reason the HD F150s are faster, they have 20" wheels but shorter (lighter) tires.

Mr. P.

If the weather will allow it and the wife don't mind I'll head to the track again this weekend for more testing. I plan to only run the 22" and see how the SS does. I might have to bring the 3.0 pulley and belt and do a quick pit stop :devil: I'll post results of my test runs. I plan to let the truck cool down before making my runs. I really hope I do better than a 13.97 :shakehead:

I just was reminded that if not mistaken Chase ran his best ever time to date with his 22's. If that indeed was the case and i'm 99.9999% sure it was then all this talk about 20's performing better than 22's is kind of mute.IMO.

But he didnt throw on a set of 20's and run right after to see if he could have gotten any better...its not really a comparison...it was amazing he was able to obtain an 11.94 on 22's...but could have been more amazing if he could have had an 11.7-11.5 run with 20's. IIRC, he mentioned that himself I think...

I just was reminded that if not mistaken Chase ran his best ever time to date with his 22's. If that indeed was the case and i'm 99.9999% sure it was then all this talk about 20's performing better than 22's is kind of mute.IMO.

Here's the 11.9 post by chase: 11.9 run

But he didnt throw on a set of 20's and run right after to see if he could have gotten any better...its not really a comparison...it was amazing he was able to obtain an 11.94 on 22's...but could have been more amazing if he could have had an 11.7-11.5 run with 20's. IIRC, he mentioned that himself I think...

But to conter i am mainly comparing stock 20's to 22's and as for Chase he was running his drag wheel/ tire set up 18's that night until right before he went home and made that pass with 22's so the 20's probably not a factor.IMO i'm sure after market 20's are probably better than 22's but I was mainly comparing stockers to 22's.

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

But to conter i am mainly comparing stock 20's to 22's and as for Chase he was running his drag wheel/ tire set up 18's that night until right before he went home and made that pass with 22's so the 20's probably not a factor.IMO i'm sure after market 20's are probably better than 22's but I was mainly comparing stockers to 22's.

What 22" are you comparing to stock 20"? Weight is a factor in 1/4 times. In my case the extra weight plus the fact that the weight is further away from the axle accounts for my 0.2 difference.

What 22" are you comparing to stock 20"? Weight is a factor in 1/4 times. In my case the extra weight plus the fact that the weight is further away from the axle accounts for my 0.2 difference.

I guess I have the only aftermarket set of 22's that are lighter than stockers. Dunno I do not have the actual numbers but I have sat there and handled both side by side and my 22's are night and day lighter than my stockers.

I guess I have the only aftermarket set of 22's that are lighter than stockers. Dunno I do not have the actual numbers but I have sat there and handled both side by side and my 22's are night and day lighter than my stockers.

I'm sure there are aftermarket 22" that are lighter than stockers. I'm pretty sure Chase's 22" are lighter than stockers.