Restoring some old Supertraps!

I was cleaning out my garage yesterday (while I was waiting for my primered underhood plastic to dry) and found an old set of Supertraps that I had gotten used/abused about 6 years ago. They had some F-ugly brackets welded to them, the glass packing/blanket was rotting out, someone had welded 2.25" pipe to them (Had to cut that crap off since they were supposed to be 2.5"), and they needed a good cleaning. Here's what I have so far...

I started by bending up a hanger and welding the two Supertraps together (3/8" cold rolled bar, bent in vice with hammer and big arms).

post-7241-1184430632_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1184430644_thumb.jpg

The rotting packing stripped and thrown away

post-7241-1184430656_thumb.jpg

The accessories that came with them. Couple of stacks of extra discs, and 5 cap kits.

post-7241-1184430666_thumb.jpg

Lining thing up under the truck. I believe I can do it with only 2 90 degree mandrels and a couple of short stub pipes and that's it!

post-7241-1184430678_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1184430690_thumb.jpg

Cleaned up the tips with the media blaster and finished with scotchbrite finishing pads for the brushed look.

post-7241-1184430703_thumb.jpg

That would look cool, but I never was a fan of the sound of Super Trapps.

You can change the sound of them with washers/spacers between the discs as well as adding or subtracting the number of discs. Most people just change the number of discs instead of adding/changing the spacing between the discs. I don't like the sound of them much either until the space between the discs are opened up a bit... to much of a flt-flt-flt-flt-flt sounds otherwise that can sounds like an exhaust leak instead of a good muffler. I'll be experimenting with everything to make it sound good and give you guys a clip when it's done.

I like how those look. I can't wait to hear how they sound. I also like how the end caps cleaned up for you. I should clean up the setup on my quad my end cap looks like the two really dark ones you have pictured there. Will you be putting them on with an h or x pipe? or just two straight pipes into the trapps?

I like how those look. I can't wait to hear how they sound. I also like how the end caps cleaned up for you. I should clean up the setup on my quad my end cap looks like the two really dark ones you have pictured there. Will you be putting them on with an h or x pipe? or just two straight pipes into the trapps?

I'll be building an X-pipe to go on to mellow the sound out before these go on. I'll be running them without packing first, just to get an idea, then add packing if needed (most likely will need it).

If i recall correctly the 4" trapp I have on my honda 250x with packing and about 8-10 discs was about 114 db (we borrowed a meter from a science teacher not sure how accurate it was). My guess is that you will probably need the packing. I also think I remember someone telling me that your performance will suffer without using the packing the packing actually helps with a smooth flow and without it the exhaust goes every which way in that core. The smae thing with worn out packing instead of a new tightly packed core.

Edited by thallent (see edit history)

Thanks for the offer but the chances of me actually getting to my quad are pretty slim. It has a bunch of junk piled around it and on top of it. Maybe if i ever get a round to it I will take you up on your offer. I had all intentions of riding again when I got it fixed in Oct. and is hasn't gone beyond the back yard once since then. It one of those things i would like to do but never seem to get to it.