Hey GM are you lurking here?? Read this.......

SSkindog

Your initial pricing of $39,995.00 was high....too high for a half ton P/U. The only way I could defend that to myself and anyone else who thought it was ludicrous, was to say "Yea, but its fully loaded, all the options are in that price"

That made it seem better.

Then what did you do??? A little trick called "De-contenting"

Pulled some of the std features out and made them optional!!!

Net effect to the MSRP.....$41,660.00

My partner just bought a 03 Silv 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4, fully loaded, w/ duramax diesel, allison auto, for $36,000.00. Brand new!!!!!!!

Thats a LOT more truck than the SS, for less $$$

BTW, we have a fleet of 50 vehicles. And we make the buying decisions.....do I wanna feel "screwed by GM" ? Nope, but this is just about doing it.

A slimly disguised ploy for "addl corporate markup" that may bite you in the azz GM :nono:

Uhm dude.. that's like saying "I just got a Cavalier LS Sport Sedan for $19,730.00 FULLY loaded - why the hell is Corvette 50k???"

While they are certaily different trucks, my point was more about the cost to build each......

The diesel engine, Allison Transmission, the "extra" 3/4 ton truck you get with more length and 4 full doors....HAS to cost more to build than the lighter duty, 1/2 ton SS does.

No two ways about it, it just has to cost more to build. But yet the pricing is less than the 1/2 ton light duty SS....

Go figure

And one more thing...........

As large a corporation as GM is, the revenue created by limited edition vehicles isnt going to have much impact on the bottom line in and of themselves.

But the enthusiasm (or lack of) generated by these special runs vehicles should spill over to the high volume part of the truck/car line, and create an impact there.

For GM to jeopardize that enthusiam with such predatory pricing practices as seen with this SSS seems counterproductive.

They should consider looking at it from the other standpoint.....make these special run vehicles very affordable, and build on the enthusiam, market leader position and brand loyalty that they are after in the first place.

Isnt that what these vehicles are all about?

SSskindog is right on. :thumbs: very well said and written. Gm is going to start losing buyers because of this. and I don't want to hear this crap, "well they are a business, and they have to make money too." crap. we already know this. there are other brands that are producing muscle products, for far less than GM asks for theirs.

and then you have the sports car segment going away from GM too. does GM make anything to paly with the imports??? no more f-body, what's next??? sure the SSS is very nice, but look at the price. again, a LOT of money, for not a lot of performance. I'm not asking GM to "give" thier products away, but price them right please. I'm really looking hard at a Ford Lightning. this is a bad ass truck that can do everything, for around 30k. no, it's not ext. cab, but it has the muscle to back it up, as well as haul, and tow. point is, if GM keeps pricing their products higher, they are soon going to be out of the reach of the regular Joe Blow. and Joe Blow will turn else where. that's my opion.

Uhm dude.. that's like saying "I just got a Cavalier LS Sport Sedan for $19,730.00 FULLY loaded - why the hell is Corvette 50k???"

While they are certaily different trucks, my point was more about the cost to build each......

The diesel engine, Allison Transmission, the "extra" 3/4 ton truck you get with more length and 4 full doors....HAS to cost more to build than the lighter duty, 1/2 ton SS does.

No two ways about it, it just has to cost more to build. But yet the pricing is less than the 1/2 ton light duty SS....

Go figure

Uh.. I'm not too sure that the SS was supposed to be like the Silverado HD.. that's basically what your sayig right? You want more power out of it?

Like every other GM owner I am willing to pay more for quality. I believe GM has excellent quality. I don't want to hear about the little sh!t that goes wrong b/c EVERY car has issues, like someone said in another post. The fact of the matter is I can not put my trust into a company that has time and time again neglected their buyers by putting a price tag on people's lives. I would be lying if I said that Ford is the only one who does that but it dates back to the Pinto and up to the Explorer's and now the Expeditions are having tire issues. How many people does Ford have to kill because of the crappy tires they put on their vehicles? Ford's are cheaply made vehicles. Ford has just had too many problems as of late that I can't afford to put my trust into their vehicles. That is my opinion. Yes the SS is overpriced but can we do anything about it? In my opinion, NO.

Archived