Is there supposed to be driveshaft play?

I've been concerned about the ever common tranny clunk during 1-2 shifting and costing then going back into whatever gear. I crawled under the truck and noticed I could move the driveshaft (rotate it) about and inch or so before it catches. Is this normal, or is it the source of my clunking drivetrain?

This is in an 02 6.0L Escalade AWD Automatic.

Got a similar question with my 2003 Avalanche. Every once in a while I'll be coasting and tap the gas, and there will be an audible 'clunk' before the drive train engages. I actually might be relieved to hear it is the shaft - that would mean it's not the tranny.

I'm with you on the question - is this normal?

I always thought it was normal. My last three GM's did it.

I'm a little annoyed that my truck was perfectly quiet when I got it, but now started to make that same clang or snap in the driveline. I never got a chance to get underneath and check the driveline free play when it was very new. Now it's at 4,500.

I've heard a few people saying that it's the driveshaft binding on the splines of the output shaft of the tranny. The fix is to drop the driveshaft and slap some grease on it. Supposedly GM is putting out / has put out, a nickel plated output shaft that stops this...

But I'm not convinced that'll fix the noise... I've always thought it was the spider gears and what-not slapping together in the diff with all that free play.

Thanks for the answers to the driveshaft play, I feel better knowing it is normal. I did however, change out the tranny filter and gasket on my Escalade (Same hard to find filter kit as the SSS). Chevy dealer wanted $57 for it. Napa Auto parts had it for $23, same parts different packaging. I could only find 1 quart of Mobil 1 ATF, so had to use regular Mobil ATF Dexron III/Mercon for the rest. End result is less clunk, and quieter tranny. Might be in my head, but seems like it works better. I feel better now anyway.

Archived